Identifying diseases

Peterbuff

My anthias has been hiding in the rocks for a week now and I finally saw him today and he was on the floor breathing heavily with a huge brown spot vertically on him and I'm not sure what it is please someone help

lmforbis

Unfortunately that sounds like uronema marinum. It is usually fatal. It is one of the few parasites that doesn't need a fish host so it is almost impossible to get it out of the tank. Chromis and anthia are particularly susceptible to this. The vertical brown spot is typical.

Peterbuff

Unfortunately that sounds like uronema marinum. It is usually fatal. It is one of the few parasites that doesn't need a fish host so it is almost impossible to get it out of the tank. Chromis and anthia are particularly susceptible to this. The vertical brown spot is typical.
How could it have gotten in my tank? I've had the anthias for About a year and have quarantined all my fish, will my other fish get it too? How can I prevent it in my reef?

lmforbis

I can't say how it got there, anything wet could bring it in and since it doesn't need fish to live and reproduce. Like I said mostly chromis and anthia are affected by this so maybe the others will be fine.

Peterbuff

I can't say how it got there, anything wet could bring it in and since it doesn't need fish to live and reproduce. Like I said mostly chromis and anthia are affected by this so maybe the others will be fine.
Thank you for the help!!! The situation was that he was showing signs of his tail being kind of worn down but had an appetite, then my led lights crapped out and the week and a half that I spent trying to find another light he was in the rocks and that was the last time I saw him till today which is a week after I got my new lights. Today he was under the rocks breathing and I noticed a huge brown Bloch going vertically on his left side so I tried to get him to my quarentine but died right before I put him in.

lmforbis

It appears the treatment is formalin or acriflavin. It can also affect fish internally. For that they need metronidazole internally. Not sure if you can bind it to food using focus.

Peterbuff

Thank you for the help!!! The situation was that he was showing signs of his tail being kind of worn down but had an appetite, then my led lights crapped out and the week and a half that I spent trying to find another light he was in the rocks and that was the last time I saw him till today which is a week after I got my new lights. Today he was under the rocks breathing and I noticed a huge brown Bloch going vertically on his left side so I tried to get him to my quarentine but died right before I put him in.
He's also been really skinny ever since I got him not sure if that'll be a game changer but just thought of mention that, but he's always had an huge appetite

Peterbuff

lmforbis

That I don't know. It is the one disease I really dread. The main reason I have no chromis, just too risky. Treating in QT for it both internally and externally would probably help.

Peterbuff

That I don't know. It is the one disease I really dread. The main reason I have no chromis, just too risky. Treating in QT for it both internally and externally would probably help.
The only problem is is that I don't want to stress the fish if they don't show signs and the qt is compromised too, I have doctor g's anti parasitic caviar that I might use so I can beef up their immune system. Belive it or not I have the tiniest chronis in my 72 and it's gotta be one of the healthiest fish of the bunch.

lagatbezan

I'm not an expert but uronema is really nasty and deadly. If caught in time a sequence of formalin treatments are needed to treat it. If I'm not mistaking once it gets in your main tank the only way to get rid of it is to tear the tank down, disinfect everything with bleach and start over.
Not saying that's what you had but I would keep an eye on your other fish. Also what other fish are in the tank. Anything harnessing it?
Eating well and losing weight could be sign of flukes or internal parasites as well. But those fish also require multiple feedings daily.

Peterbuff

I'm not an expert but uronema is really nasty and deadly. If caught in time a sequence of formalin treatments are needed to treat it. If I'm not mistaking once it gets in your main tank the only way to get rid of it is to tear the tank down, disinfect everything with bleach and start over.
Not saying that's what you had but I would keep an eye on your other fish. Also what other fish are in the tank. Anything harnessing it?
Eating well and losing weight could be sign of flukes or internal parasites as well. But those fish also require multiple feedings daily.
I fed Him three times a day but like I said he hid in the rocks for a week and a half and by the time he came out it was too late. I have a fox face, scopas tang, designer clown, a chromis, and a tailspot blenny. None of them have been showing any signs and they all have great appetites

lmforbis

Unfortunately uronema doesn't have visible signs until the vertical brown patches/sores appear. It is often too late by then.