If money is no object, what is perfect setup?

powderblue

I want to set up a perfect 125g reef tank capable of supporting any corals. If money wasn't a concern, what would the ideal setup be?
This includes filtration, lights, lr, ls, etc.
Thanks for the help.

well i see the perfect setup as a ets downdraft skimmer ,a wetdry filter,ozone generator with a controller,metal halide lighting with a chiller,ro system for water replacement a co2 system for plant life,and a emtpy checking account lol.!!!!!

marine qa

I have looked into this and I would get one of those total water management systems separated from the tank. These systems can include everything 03 suggested above, and can be computer contolled. I would certainly include Metal Halide spotlights which may be necessity with your plans. It would take me months of researching to know what particular equipment I would want.
Let us know what you come up with.
[ April 30, 2001: Message edited by: Marine QA ]

jond

Well, what a problem to have. (or are you just dreaming) The posibilities are endless, as you will see if you explore this BB and other sources. Have fun. :)

When it comes to keeping a successful salt water aquarium, the knowledge and skill of the aquarist far outweighs the cost or complexity of the equipment.
My humble .02
Hermit

ironreef

aerofoamer 830 or bullet2 skimmer depending on how powerful skimming you want. these can't be beat. at least 250w halides 6' tank maybe 2_250 watt and 1 400w depends on what you keep= corals. 2 seaswirls with ampmaster3000 dolpihin pump.Mix the lr with marshal and figi.

Hermit,
I agree with you, what good is having a Ferrari if you dont know how to drive. Seen some very expensive tanks that werent all that healthy and some dirt cheap tanks that were fantasic. The difference? The owner.

total

200 + gal tank inlaid into my wall with a sump that sits in my basement. No mess or noise upstairs. Just the gorgeous reef tank.
Or if you're going to dream, Mr.4000 has the right idea. A 4000 gal. tank that's big enough that I can scuba in it. Now thats the #!%$.
YES?
I can only dream.
TTFN

powderblue

From what I have seen from sharks such as Burnspy, the best reef tanks need only a ton of live rock, live sand with a plenum and some detrivore kits, a couple of powerheads for movement, and a kick butt protein skimmer.
The wet/dry, chemical/mechanical filtration, etc. seem to only cause more problems than they solve.
Do you agree with this assessment?
If so, what about refugiums and overflow sumps? Are they not really necessary?
Thanks.