If money was not a issue what salt mix would you used for a reek tank?

stanlalee

Instant ocean just like I'm using now. I simply like the parameters I'm getting from it (10dKH, 400ppm ca, 1350mg). I find this easier to dose and work with then typical reef salts (with elevated ca and lower alkalinity). Is $20 for a more expensive bucket of salt really going to put anyone in the poor house? I assume for most size tanks a bucket last at least a few months worth of water changes. I think I'd give up buying the 5th of booze or a saturday at applebees one out of the several times I do so in that period of time if I thought there was something truly superior and $20 was going to make that big a dent in my budget.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/3154425
Instant ocean just like I'm using now. I simply like the parameters I'm getting from it (10dKH, 400ppm ca, 1350mg). I find this easier to dose and work with then typical reef salts (with elevated ca and lower alkalinity). Is $20 for a more expensive bucket of salt really going to put anyone in the poor house? I assume for most size tanks a bucket last at least a few months worth of water changes. I think I'd give up buying the 5th of booze or a saturday at applebees one out of the several times I do so in that period of time if I thought there was something truly superior and $20 was going to make that big a dent in my budget.
Costs around $190 a year for my 180 gallon on just salt alone. lol

btldreef

We started with Tropic Marin, then went to Instant Ocean for a long time and now just switched to Coralife to see if there were any differences. Found that all are the same ... Tropic Marin is just too much money and I've no difference between them and the "cheaper" Instant Ocean and Coralife. The one plus with Coralife is that it comes in three separate bags inside the 5G bucket, and living in a damp place like Long Island, keeping the humidity out is always an issue. Plus, you get a tee shirt, LOL
We actually will probably go back to Instant Ocean though, if it's no different that Coralife, we're not going to mess with the good thing we've got going on in our tank :)