If you ABSOLUTELY had to pick a salt...

monalisa

My choice would definitely not be instant ocean...I've had bad luck with that stuff bringing my calcium down and causing algea outbreaks.
The salt I use now is Oceanic...calcium's good and my reef seems to love it...I now buy it by the bucket-load.
Lisa :happyfish

darthtang aw

I have used many different salts over the years. I find it hard to believe one salt can cause algae outbreaks more so than another. Something else is going on in your tanks if you are having constant algae problems. That is just my opinion though.
Earlybird, when you set up your tank did you use tap water or RO/DI water? Also, in my opinion your PH was little low and your alkilinity as well, I believe...which would cause a high calcium content.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
I have used many different salts over the years. I find it hard to believe one salt can cause algae outbreaks more so than another. Something else is going on in your tanks if you are having constant algae problems. That is just my opinion though.
Earlybird, when you set up your tank did you use tap water or RO/DI water? Also, in my opinion your PH was little low and your alkilinity as well, I believe...which would cause a high calcium content.
I used RO/DI water and have been topping off ever since. I've been getting pretty consistant pH readings of 8.0. Possibly a bad batch? I thought recommended Alk was 7-11 dKH which would make me a little high.

promisetbg

Oceanic causes algae blooms, Instant Ocean is good for FOWLR systems, Reef Crystals was highest on the list in the study..{which by the way I feel was not done properly}. I use Tropic Marin Pro..before that..I used Tropic Marin, before that Instant Ocean when I first started and did'nt know better.

reefkprz

8.0ph isnt that bad, its when ph constantly fluctates from batch to batch that its bad. if its consistent its not really a big deal.

puffer32

I have tried alot of those brands, and always come back to kent, cheaper then some and works better anything else i have used, keeps my calc stable, unlike some of the other brands that cost more.

stanlalee

Its funny seeing how many times people say this one had high calcium and low pH while this one had low calcium but high pH. Isn't that how it works? calcium above 400 is suppose to inhibit alk from rising and vise versa?
Also what works for initial set up might not be good in the long run. 520 calcium might not be the best thing to start a tank with but for water changes on a coral tank its probably just what you want to prevent excessive dosing. with a FOWLR tank low calcium and high alk like IO is ideal. So there will never be a right and wrong answer.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
Its funny seeing how many times people say this one had high calcium and low pH while this one had low calcium but high pH. Isn't that how it works? calcium above 400 is suppose to inhibit alk from rising and vise versa?
Also what works for initial set up might not be good in the long run. 520 calcium might not be the best thing to start a tank with but for water changes on a coral tank its probably just what you want to prevent excessive dosing. with a FOWLR tank low calcium and high alk like IO is ideal. So there will never be a right and wrong answer.
Makes sense. I bought wholesale and went with the huge bucket of Oceanic so I'm going to wait it out but don't plan on my first corals until at least 6 months.

hatessushi

Originally Posted by Vpotts28
Sushi, I appreciate the post. However, if people are sick of answering the same question then there is a solution, move on to the next thread. I don't mean that in a harsh way, but c'mon. I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head and saying, "hey answer my question". I am simply asking a question about salts, and I will take the opinions to heart, and appreciate the kind advice. Then I will make a conscious decision on which one to go with next. That hardly warrants getting flamed. This isn't a poll for the forum, this is a, I need salt and want to make the best choice. As far as the seachem reef, that wasn't one of my choices, but I will put it in the memory bank.

Sorry, wasn't meant as a flame and I don't see how it could be read as that. Just stating a fact that there is a lot of information in this forum about salts. good luck