If you could build your dream tank ....

TammieH

I have a 15" wall in a new home that we have torn down to the studs. I may have semi-free reign on a salt water tank for that wall!!! I can drill through the wall and possibly put equipment on the other side for noise issues. I am also working on a RODI water station and will work with the plumber to get a way to help automate delivery of RODI water to the tank and a way to pump off water for my water changes.

I have currently a 34gallon tiny aquarium. I've had up to 150gallon aquariums before.... but I need some brainstorming of cool things to get.

If you could build your dream tank... what would you include? What equipment would you get if you didn't have a budget?

florida joe

If you are talking about a reef tank, most good saltwater stores have at least one spectacular tank with corals and fish not for sale. These display tanks are there to wet your appetite for the hobby. I would ask them about the equipment they use. I am sure you will find them more than willing to help you. After all they will be using all top end equipment and would hope you shop there for the same.

jay0705

Dream tank?? Probably 8ft , gallons debatable. Sump in basement with in its own sump room to keep the "salt" contained. Tank stock would honestly probably be fowlr. Reef tanks are amazing but far more work then I want to do. A mix of tangs, anthias, a potters angel, fire fish, pair of golden sleeper headed gobys, pair of clowns, group of fairy wrasse, Fox face , skunk,blood,and peppermint shrimp.

Shilpan

For me it seems just automation with many redundancy. I don't mind a small tank, but I would love one with less maintanence. Dosing pumps, ATO, controller, timers etc...

But of course, more gadgets = more redundancy needed.

lmforbis

I think any larger tank that I could put the best equipment on. Not sure which equipment it would be but not having budget constraints would be wonderful. I'd also like glass that is impossible to scratch. A basement sump would be great to have, although that isn't outside the realm of possibilities.

2quills

300g starphire glass tank with a fail safe overflow.

Either, Radion, Hydra or Kessil led light fixtures.

Echotech power heads.

Custom sump

Vertex Alpha cone skimmer.

Apex aquarium controller.

Tunze auto top off controller.

Mixing station for automatic water changes.

Someone to take care of it all for me so I can just sit back and enjoy it?

Rare fish and corals.

Too much stuff to list really.

deejeff0442

Already have my plan for my house I am building
Off the living room and 10 by 12 room.
In wall 8 foot 400 gallon. water and drains.
Already have alot for it. 400 pounds dry rock. a pump that looks like a pool pump. I had a 250 gallon so most would work.
Still about 18 months away. also been stocking my 90 like crazy for it. over 50 corals so when it's up I won't have to buy as.much stuff.

TammieH

300g starphire glass tank with a fail safe overflow.

Either, Radion, Hydra or Kessil led light fixtures.

Echotech power heads.

Custom sump

Vertex Alpha cone skimmer.

Apex aquarium controller.

Tunze auto top off controller.

Mixing station for automatic water changes.

Someone to take care of it all for me so I can just sit back and enjoy it?

Rare fish and corals.

Too much stuff to list really.

I'm getting lucky. My plumbers and electrician are putting in plumbing so I can flip a switch and get fresh or salt water to my sump!

Here's a look at my wishlist for fish...

Porcupine puffer

Queen (regal or blue girdled or emperor?) angel

Blue tang

Midas blenny

Flame hawkfish

*Cardinalfish

*2 clowns w/ anemone

*Green Mandarin

Mimic saddle puffer

Flame hawkfish

Redstripe hogfish

Blue dot jawfish

Blue hippo tang

Clown triggerfish

Fairy wrasse

Nothing too rare or expensive, but plenty of color and hopefully fun to watch fish,

The husband is on board with starfire glass! I'm looking at 8'x24"x36" so 336 gallons I think