If you were in my shoes....

55galgill

I have an oppertunity to buy a 125 gallon aquarium for short (really) money. the only thing that worries me is its 7 years old. It was previously a chinchild tank. Do i have anything to worry about or should i just go for it? Help i need opinions!!!
i dont know if it matters, but it is an AGA construction and undrilled.

kelly

Do you mean cichlid instead of chinchild? I would not have a problem with it, if it was recently holding water, providing you are not housing corals and inverts.
I would ask to see if copper was used in it (actually check all medications, as some meds may contain copper. So some research may be necessary).
Hope this helps.

kjord97

My 150 gal tank is over 12 years old. It was a previous cichlid tank when I breed them years ago. It is now 1 of my 5 beautiful reef tanks.
Setup the tank outside, fill with water and let it set for a few days. You can even clean the tank with bleach. It will make sure it is spotless. Rinse well, let air dry for a few days. It will be like brand new.
Also make sure you check all seems and see if the sealant is in good shape and not peeling off.

gatorwpb

Yeah copper is the biggest issue with a tank like that, especially that old. It can leech copper into the tank for a long time after it was used.
The other thing to check closely is the seals on each corner.
If its only been one owner and he didnt use copper based medications and the seals look good, you should be good to go with the tank.

T

touchthesky00

Originally Posted by Kelly
http:///forum/post/2650184
Do you mean cichlid instead of chinchild?
Hope this helps.
i wonder if he meant chinchila?
when i sold my 75g, the guy i sold it to was gonna use it for his..

55galgill

Sorry cichlid is what i meant
im worthless without Microsoft Word

The tank recently held water, the owners says he sold off his stuff and is now ready to part with the tank.
He gave me a crazy price of $200 for the tank. it was so cheap i went right on here to see what could be if any possible problems.
so most important things i should ask/check for are
1. Seams looking good
2. Ask about copper medications (by the way, what if he lies?)
3. Look for chips and cracks
If im forgetting something please let me know. Would it be difficult to drill a tank like this for overflows?
TIA,
Gill

aquaknight

My 125 pefecto was made July 1987.

The seams not only have to look good, but 'feel' good too. There should be no hard spots and the silicone should be nice and malleable,.
The other thing is make sure the glass panels are aligned properly. With an old tank, chances are the seams were replacement. So you need to make sure all the panels still 'fit.'

kjord97

$200 seems a little steep for me. A brand new 125 Gallon Aquarium - Black - 72"x18"x22" is $285.99 at a store I can not mention cause this site gets mad, but it rimes with taht pte palce (dot) com. In our local fish club, we usally sell used aqauriums for $ 1 a gallon.

Originally Posted by 55GalGill
http:///forum/post/2650243
Sorry cichlid is what i meant
im worthless without Microsoft Word

The tank recently held water, the owners says he sold off his stuff and is now ready to part with the tank.
He gave me a crazy price of $200 for the tank. it was so cheap i went right on here to see what could be if any possible problems.
so most important things i should ask/check for are
1. Seams looking good
2. Ask about copper medications (by the way, what if he lies?)
3. Look for chips and cracks
If im forgetting something please let me know. Would it be difficult to drill a tank like this for overflows?
TIA,
Gill
dont drill it. if its not tempered glass, which costs extra, so he would have only paid for it if he was going to drill it, then it will probably brake when dirlled. just use diy overflows, i prefer them and hate how much my in tank overflow takes out of my 55.

A

arlene1995

I recently bought a used 125. I think is was an AGA, but I'm not sure. It was only $300 and came with everything, even the lights for a reef. It is drilled, and I have had no problems with it yet. I would go for it if everything seems to be in good shape.

nwdyr

Hey Vin,
Where was that at?? i live close to you and would like to go to that LFS, pm me with the info please! I also think 200.00 is too much, unless it comes with the stand ,lights etc... The age thing would not bother me if all the things mentioned above were ok

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2651760
Hey Vin,
Where was that at?? i live close to you and would like to go to that LFS, pm me with the info please! I also think 200.00 is too much, unless it comes with the stand ,lights etc... The age thing would not bother me if all the things mentioned above were ok

Go fish aquariums in Orland Park

scopus tang

Wow! I gotta get a new LFS in this town. I'm not even going to tell you what they want for a 125.

If you're worried about the seams, most glass ships will reseal these relatively inexpensively. And I personally would have the glass shop drill the tank (after they check to see if the glass is tempered).