I'm dyin' here.. how long should it take my 30 to completely cycle?

fishkiller

I've got a 30 set up with some damsels and a little bit of live rock. Not much going on here. I started the tank about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks ago. Salinity is at .018 and everything else is fine. temp is a little cold, but not too bad. How much longer until I can throw some mushrooms or ricordia polyps in there? PLEASE somebody tell me without talking to me like i'm an idiot or you are a God. Thank you!

A

alti

welcome to the board. do you have test kits for ammonia,nitrite and nitrate? if not there is really no way to know if your cycle is over. i would wait at least a month or 2 after the cycle is over to add any corals. i usually wait till the tank is at least 3 or 4 months old to add any corals. your salinity is pretty low. you really should raise it to at least 1.020. i think most people keep theirs between 1.022 and 1.025. as for temp, my corals dont seem to like it when it is under 78 degrees. i try to keep it between 80 and 82.HTH

fishkiller

When I said .018, I meant 1.018, which now just rose to 1.021. Thanx yall. I tested the amonia, ph, and nitrites. Amonia and nitrites were both low and ph was ok. I havn't gotten a nitrate test yet, i figured the other 2 could tell me a little about the nitrates for now. I'm also starting to really grow this brown, rusty looking algae. Looks like crap. What do i do? I have about 2W per gallon right now, i know that's low but i'm getting 2 power compacts from a friend this weekend.

welcome to the board. If you are getting some new PC lighting from your friend this weekend, I think you might experiece a mini-algae bloom since new light usually results in a fine green algae building along your tank walls,etc. I would suggest you hold off on getting anything until it passes since your water parameters will tend to fluctuate during this time...you will also probably have to do mini water changes until the algae stops. I would suggest you use RO/DI water during this time since it will cut down on the amount of phosphate/nutrients in the water.
Good luck

hairtrigger

This is my friend who wanted the anenome, but I convinced him to sign up here instead. Fortunately.
Hey Friend... I TOLD YOU THAT YOU SHOULD WAIT THE FULL AMOUNT OF TIME BEFORE ADDING THAT CORAL BEAUTY.
More like Coral Was Beauty. :D