I'm failing with corals, time to give up?

pohtr

I think maybe I should give up on corals. I somehow managed to kill my beloved bubble coral (old posts) and now am killing my colt corals. Those are supposed to be the 2 easiest corals to keep, arent' they? I tried a green striped mushroom once and it died. Everyone else is very happy in my tank. Lots of coraline algae, hermits, snails, small mushrooms, etc. For fish I have: One Clark clown, one flame angel, one bluegreen chromi, one lawnmower blemnny, and one flame cardinal. Also a pistol crab (going to get a YM next)
My parameters the last time I checked (4 wks ago) were:
tank age: 3.5 yrs
size 90 gal
lighting 4@65
temp 79
spec grav 1.024
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
pH 7.9
alk 1.5 (have raised it some but am due to retest)
magnesium 1250
calcium 360 (have used turbo calc to raise it but need to retest) calc always is low when I test it though.
I will retest when I do my water change this weekend but I am wondering if maybe I'd be better off giving up on corals and going for some of the inverts or fish that aren't good with corals anyway.
Or maybe there's a way I can succeed with corals.
Any suggestions?
This hobby is so wonderful & awful at the same time sometimes, isn't it?!

pohtr

Actually I think I'm maybe way overdue for bulb changes, how can you tell, or do you just do them every 6 months?
Yes, I have the typhII and use RODI water (those filters are not due yet to be changed)

spanko

I would keep an eye on the angel. They are know to be or become coral nippers and it may be picking off your coral.

rotarymagic

pH is low... I like my KH at 12dKH which is what 4meq/l?
the light may not be sufficiently reaching the bottom in that tall of a tank.. you really need metal halides for a 90..

pohtr

The Angel had previously lived with the bubble for many years but could have been nipping on the colt. Never saw it do that though. The colt coral has just been shriveling down. Should I move whats left of the corals closer to the light? They are currently on the sand at the bottom. Would 1.026 (s.g.)be too high for the other inhabitants of the tank?

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by pohtr
http:///forum/post/2839664
The Angel had previously lived with the bubble for many years but could have been nipping on the colt. Never saw it do that though. The colt coral has just been shriveling down. Should I move whats left of the corals closer to the light? They are currently on the sand at the bottom. Would 1.026 (s.g.)be too high for the other inhabitants of the tank?
I keep my tanks at 1.025. I would recommend moving the corals up higher. Do a phosphate test as well. Have you dosed copper to the tank?

pohtr

I'm doing a water change this weekend. If I do a 20 gal water change on a 90 then what should the new water s.g. be to keep the increase gradual?
I don't do copper, should I?
I'll redo all the tests a few hours after the water change and will do phosphate too. The last time I checked it though it was at 0.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by pohtr
http:///forum/post/2839690
I'm doing a water change this weekend. If I do a 20 gal water change on a 90 then what should the new water s.g. be to keep the increase gradual?
I don't do copper, should I?
I'll redo all the tests a few hours after the water change and will do phosphate too. The last time I checked it though it was at 0.
NEVER PUT COPPER IN A REEF TANK!!!! EVER!!!
I was just trying to make sure you didn't put copper in there.
The 20gallon change should be ok...
I think it could be a low alk, low pH, low light issue...I keep my tanks at 12dKH which is I think 4meq/l (double check to be sure), mag at 1350 or slightly higher and calcium ~450ppm. My pH stays rock solid between 8.3 to 8.2 at night which is pretty good considering its done with dosing and not a kalk&calcium reactor.

pohtr

I'm a little confused about the 12dKH 4 meg/L, is that one the Alk? Mine's only at 1.5, so that would be WAY low. I've tested it before and had it low and used baking soda to raise it but it doesn't seem to raise much and then it doesn't stay up. I have to admit I HATE the chemistry aspect and the testing, I'm just not a chemist. I could very well be screwing up the test procedures. Tomorrow is water change day and I will retest the calcium, pH, the Alk, and magnesium.
I moved one of the colts (what's left of it) up to the top, maybe I should move it half way up instead?
So, what s.g. should I have my 20 gal at????
TARA, The skimmer has a surge 3500, mag drive 500gph I think, figured on 4 ft rise. Then there are 3 PH. One is 270gph and one is 300 gph and the other came with the tank and I don't know what it's rate is.

You have some low parameters:
Calcium should be 450
PH should be 8.3
SG is good, but you should try to run it at 1.026 for corals
IMO, your lighting isn't that great, Metal Halides are proven to be better

dwmcnic_stu

You're right about one thing...colts ought to be the hardiest.
Fix your h2o parameters that have been mentioned earlier.
Your clown could have been floppin on your bubble, which could stress it out as well.

jenningsxxx

I got a bubble and a leather in my 110 36" deep and they almost died under 2 175 MH, after I added a 400MH and two T5's they came back in no time. Upgrade your lights and that should take care of your problem.
I attached a before and after picture.

pohtr

I've done the water change and will slowly bring up the s.g. I didn't do my chemistry like I said I would but I will, I promise. I need to and I know it.
The metal halides aren't an option for me at this time. They are too hot and too expensive. I thought bubbles didn't need much light and often found places to live under rock overhangs out in the natural reefs.
Thanks for all the help.
If I ever get the parameters right should there be something (kalkwasser?) I could add on a regular basis to keep things where they belong?

pohtr

rechecked chem finally:
magnesium is still where it was before I added the baking soda. 1.5, too low.
The calcium was up some, to 375
So I'll add some more turbo boost but why won't my alk go up? Is there a better product then baking soda? Also is it necessary for most reef tanks to be continually dosed even with regular water changes?
thanks.