im going to make some fish / coral food

alix2.0

going to the grocery store tomorrow, i post the prosess in this thread.
in the meantime, who has done this, and what did you put in it?

snakeblitz33

Neat! I hope you know quantities... don't put too many fatty foods like oysters in the mix. Bad to give your fish fatty liver :(
Have fun!!

alix2.0

i think its mostly going to be clam, shrimp, and a couple other things. i am reading up on what to and not to use. i dont have any fish that eat greens, so im going to pass on the nori, etc. and since ill be freezing it, i guess garlic wont do much to help their immunity, since thats only fresh garlic? i read that once its frozen, itll help entice the fish to eat, but thats about it. so i guess ill skip that too. or not. i dont know yet.

culp

i have never made my own fish food. but i do know that Mr. X has made his own fish food. he has a thread around here some where about him making that food.

subielover

Lol, that was my plan as well. I will probably start after Christmas though. Let us know how it goes for you. What kind of fish are you feeding?

kane4fire

Has anyone tried adding gelatin to the mix so that you don't have to freeze it and can just put it in the fridge? It would also make it easy to just cut out cubes and dump it into the tank. The fish can just eat it without it traveling everywhere.

alix2.0

id think if it was in the fridge it would go bad faster than the freezer, right? anyways, i didnt get to the store last night, but i probably will tonight.

subielover

Originally Posted by kane4fire
http:///forum/post/2876540
Has anyone tried adding gelatin to the mix so that you don't have to freeze it and can just put it in the fridge? It would also make it easy to just cut out cubes and dump it into the tank. The fish can just eat it without it traveling everywhere.
I don't want my fish eating gelatin. I would rather have fresh fish, clams, squid, mysis, etc frozen and ready to be thawed. Thawing takes all of 15 seconds.
Alix-looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. I even picked up a little mini food processor for the deed.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2877203
I don't want my fish eating gelatin. I would rather have fresh fish, clams, squid, mysis, etc frozen and ready to be thawed. Thawing takes all of 15 seconds.
Alix-looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. I even picked up a little mini food processor for the deed.
+1. ive been feeding frozen food for years, its no inconvenience.

kane4fire

You would rather your fish not eat a protein? Isn't that part of the reason why you are feeding it meat? Using gelatin would mean you can just put the cubes or whatever into the tank without it going everywhere. It would stay in one spot and the fish can just come up to it and eat it instead of your skimmer having a treat.

jpa0741

FYI some of the major frozen co. add gelatin to their food. I use a homemade food from a well known LFS that use gelatin and shredd it like cheese. It helps hold it together. Here is what is in theirs.
Our food is a 20 year improvement over a public aquarium gelatinized diet first called "The Mystic Aquarium Diet" A powdered salmon diet is the base with broccoly and carrot for HLLE avoidance, white flesh fish, shrimp, blended w/shells, Spirulina powder, astaxanthin for color enhancement, Knox brand gelatin, multivitamins, raw eggs, shell and all blended and a few other goodies, always blended fresh by myself. Good enough that our clowns breed without add'l feeding on it and we also feed it to our Corals. ----
Note. You still need to freeze it to preserve.

alix2.0

i need it to go everywhere. im not just feeding fish. im feeding corals and other inverts as well.
problem solved.