Im gonna cry. :(

whitemike

I bought a new 70 watt MH sunpod and I forgot to order a bulb. The only local fish store who had that bulb is this guy who I hate. So he sold me a bulb which looked used but I was desprate. Now when the light turns on it stays on for 30 secs then shuts off. Whats wrong? Is it the bulb? I do just have it pluged in the wall do I need a GFCI what ever that is?

acrylic51

Shouldn't need a GFCI to run the light......Does he have a 70W fixture that you could test it in? It sounds like the bulb.......

majakarot

a gfci will shut off the power if it senses current coming back through the ground... you should have one, but not using one will not cause your lights to shut off, sorry i cant help more

acrylic51

???? It's hard to say, but please post a pic maybe someone might spot something.....It's really hard to say, because a bulb could have a hairline crack or such and still fire........Please post pic....

sleasia

Go back to that guy, even if he is a jerk and get another bulb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are expensive enough...and the stores are supposed to test them for you before you leave...

acrylic51

I agree with Sleasia that they should test them before the leave their store......If he didn't and can't test it, he can't dispute it isn't a bad bulb.....By the way it looks it does look like it's seen use......

whitemike

I remember reading your not post to touch the bulb just the ends of the bulb, but the guy who sold me the bulb touched the bulb with a cleanex could that of cracked the bulb?

acrylic51

No handling it with a cleanex would be ok....You just don't want the oils from your hands on the bulb......Why did he handle the bulb??? Did he test it or was he putting it in the box?

whitemike

Well tell you the truth I called every fish store around me for bulbs and no one had them so I went to him and said ofcorse we sell them so I was suprised and he went in the back and came out with a lamp with a bulb in it so I went home to get my light to make sure it would fit and work and I turned it on for 3 secs and bought it cause I was desprate to get my new lights up big mistake.

acrylic51

Do yourself a favor and take your light and bulb with you to the store and tell him to put it in his fixture and let it burn for a bit......I would have never bought a bulb from a fixture that wasn't in a box or such......Was he using the light fixture or what????
Again take your light fixture and the bulb back and make him light it and let it burn a while in his fixture, and then if it burns ok, try it in yours......Or better yet since it won't light in yours show him yours first, since it won't be hot, and then swap it over into his.......

seannmelly

You bulb is burnt out. I would go right back to that store no matter how much you don't like him and A) get your money back because he ripped you off or B) have him give you your money back. That is ridiculous that he sold you a burnt out bulb. I work at a lfs and I can tell you we would NEVER EVER do that to a customer!!! Also you cannot touch it with your hands because of the oil in your skin. Tissue or paper towel or clean cloth should not burnt it out like that in an instant. It will only shorten the life of a bulb. It will not turn it from brand new to burnt out. And honestly any lfs that does not stock a certain item should be able to special order it for you. Period. I know there are certain items that we do not normally stock, but every week we get an order, and all we ask for is a deposit for either half the price of the item or payment in full depending on how much an item is. TAKE IT BACK AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK OR A BRAND NEW REPLACEMENT WITH THE MONEY YOU ALREADY PAID TOWARDS A BRAND NEW BULB!

whitemike

Thanks guys Ill take care of it. Im real happy I found this web site cause with out people like you I wouldn't get honest answers so thanks a bunch. I kind of think he did that on purpose so I would return my fixture so I would buy his cause thats what he wanted me to do in the first place but I said no and yes I know other stores can order it for me I was just impatient cause I was so happpy I was geting my light to day I just wanted to set it up. So any ways thanks a lot.