I'm having Surgery on Monday!

buzz

Ok...freaking out right now....I knew it was coming up, but I thought I had a few weeks to prepare. But I found out yesterday it's on Monday! I am having fusion surgery on my spine - fusing the L5-S1 vertebrae. GULP! I'll be in the hospital for a few days then home to recover...

nicky1.8t

good luckwith the surgeory when you get back every one will throw you a party
:cheer:

unknown

Hope the surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery.
I had to get surgery on my left arm and left leg because I crushed the middle of them bone in a dirtbike collission. I was kinda scared to go under the knife too but it will be ok
As of right now I have 2 plates and 6 screws in my arm and in my leg I have 2 plates and 6 screws. But im ok.

overanalyzer

My boss just had three or four vertebrae fused in his neck. Down and out for two weeks but he said he feels great now!

T

twogood4u

Are you having the rods put in or the artifical ligament and disc?Reason i ask is i had thew rods installed 9-02 at the same level.Went smoothly but restrictions are a different story sometimes.

sammystingray

Hey, after my fiance needed back surgery this last year, (microdiscectomy SP?), I now know quite a bit about spines....believe me. Fusion will save year after year of having repeat troubles with the disk if you are having repeat troubles....you'll be glad when it's done and over with. Have you had previous surgery for herniated disks or anything? What type of surgery did you get? How many times did your herniated disk recur if it did? How long did it take to recur?
Everyones afraid of surgery, but I was so confident about this type, that I mostly worried about my fiance being fondled while she was under....:D :D :D
If you're having repeat trouble, then fusion will pretty much remove the need for the disk, and you should feel happy that it's going to get done and over with. Keep us updated, I'm sorry you have to deal with it, and best wishes.

buzz

Thanks all. I really appreciate the kind words.
Sammy - I had a bad car accident about 10 years ago and came close to breaking my back in that same spot. My Chiropractor was able to get everything back to normal, but I guess over the years, more problems developed.
It has gone out more frequently, and each time it took less to throw it, and the result was worse. The final blow happened late September. All I did was step up wrong, and felt a twinge. I went downhill fast.
Went to the chiropractor a few times, and it didn't help. Then the sciatica kicked in and man, I have never felt pain like that. Went to the doctor, tried pain killers and muscle relaxants, physical therapy, etc. The therapist told me not to bother coming back. So my doctor sent me to an Orthopaedic Surgeon. He took x-rays, and saw some joint degeneration. I also started developing partial paralysis in my left leg. He sent me in for an MRI which confirmed everything. Never had surgery before, but the joint degeneration pretty much negates any other procedures, such as steroid injections, discectomy, etc. And 4 months later, I still feel it.
They are removing the disc and using a fusion device. They will place titanium spacers between the vertebrae, and wrap a cage around it. They use only artificial bone, so they don't need to drill a hip core (phew!).
Believe me, I wish I had a viable alternative. But it doesn't seem there are any.

T

twogood4u

Just think, your artifical disk is a part of the ocean. Dead coral to start the turns into your disk as a bone.

lovethesea

good luck. At least they took all of your "worry" time away.
Just gave you a few days. Otherwise you will probably be a wreck. My son's docter gave us 4 weeks to wait for his hernia surgery and by the time it came around I was climbing the walls. The 6 year old was excited as can be.
My Aunt has a titanium hip and it has been great for her. Except when she goes to the airport and court house. :eek:
Good luck, you will glad you got it repaired, otherwise you will have a horrible time with it.

I had 6 screws and a few rods put into my back in june,
took bone from me to put where the disc use to be,
this was my 3rd surgery on the same 2 disc and they
had compressed so much,that it really screwed me up.
I tried to go back to work in August,I work construction,
do not sit behind a desk(not knocking anyone who does)
but I went back to work to soon.Now I am back out of work
and the docs are not sure what to do with me,might have some permanment nerve damage.I have actually consider suicide to get out of pain,but that is the cowards way out if you ask me. My advice is to take your recovery slowly and get to physical thearpy as soon as you can after your surgery.I was sent to PT in October and they wanted to know why it took so long to get me there,go figure. I have been extremely depressed over my situation and urge you to try PT as soon as you canyou need to get those muscles in your back strong again,as soon as posible,it is no joke.

buzz

My surgeon and I have all ready discussed physical therapy, so that will definitely happen.
Man...sorry you are having such a rough time with your situation. And I know what constant pain is like. What about nerve blockers, etc.? Glad you decided against suicide. That in my opinion is NEVER the answer. Try and stay positive.