I'm having trouble with my new setup...can someone help, please?

ntvflgirl

I'm having a tough time getting my new system to run right. I built my own ecosystem, and I have a pump rated at 1000 gph for a one inch pvc into the ecosystem. I know this is too large of a pump for this size pvc, but I put a ball valve on the return line hoping to make it work. It's not working. The pump, even with the ball valve turned almost all the way to off, still empties the last chamber before it can be filled, and it hardly pumps anything into the tank. Is there a way to get the U-tube to syphon faster?

sw65galma

What is your bulkhead rated at?
I'm no plumber, but you may need a ball valve on both sides.
Because i'm thinking your still flowing a large gph, just at a higher pressure with the valve on one side.
If you think about all canister filters, they have valves on both intake and return.
dunno just a thought.:notsure:

ntvflgirl

I'm assuming you mean the overflow...not sure what a bulkhead is...lol.. Anyway, the lady I got it from used a 800gph pump. I do only have the ball valve on the return. I'm stumped.

B

bocandoit

sounds like your return pump is pumping more water than your overflow (if that is what you are using) is rated for. i know that especially after getting that $$$ pump you dont wanna hear it, but it sounds like you are filtering your water too fast. I had a 110 gal tank that i had a 900 gph pump on it. i dunno, 1000 seems a little fast for a 75 gallon tank? try a slower pump and let nature do its thing, you know??? i would think that if you flowed too much water too fast than not all of it would get completely filtered, like some of it would just pass over and go right back into the tank unfiltered.

B

bocandoit

oh yeah, i have never needed any ball valve on a return, just matched it just under what the overflow can handle. basically, you want the overflow to exceed what the pump can pump, since it will not flow any more than what the return pump gives it. does that make any sense??? just the way that the siphon works. drastic example, if you have an overflow rated at 1000 gph, but a return pump that is only rated for 30 gph, then the ammount of water coming through the overflow will only be 30 gph. on the other hand, if your pump is pumping more water than the overflow can keep up with then the sump will run dry and your display tank will flood. if you are dead set on the 1000 gph pump, i would start looking at overflows rated at 1100 or higher. also, what does your return pump say its rating is at whatever vertical feet of head pressure??? you can really fine tune then.

sw65galma

Originally posted by ntvflgirl
I'm assuming you mean the overflow...not sure what a bulkhead is...lol.. Anyway, the lady I got it from used a 800gph pump. I do only have the ball valve on the return. I'm stumped.

Ya overflow=bulkhead..same difference..
Anyway you need a higher flowing overflow, say atleast 1200-1500 gph ifyou have a 1000gph pump
Another thing is get rid of the ball valve and reduce the size of your hoses.

robvia

ntvflgirl,
You may be overlooking one thing. The placement of your overflow box will determine your water level. If your box is too high the flow to your sump will be slow. The pump will try and fill your tank, thus running your sump dry. This case would look like your overflow isn't big enough, but really you just don't have enough total water in your system.
If this is your problem you need to lower your overflow in the tank. Most prefilter boxes are adjustable. Try to move it down some and see. If it still runs dry, move it down some more. If you get it to the bottom and it still runs dry, then add some water to your system. Make sure there are no bubbles in your U-tube and make sure your filter pads are clean. Usually there is a pad in the overflow and one where it enters your sump.
Since you said you cut the flow down to almost nothing, I would think it is a water level or total water volume issue.
Let us know what happens.

houston220

A ball valve is for shutting off flow. If you want to regulate the flow, you should use a gate valve or a globe valve. Sometimes they are referred to as throttling valves.