I'm lost

oaktree

I just got enough salt for my 55g and a heater I have a hang on filter the lady would not sell me anything at the fish store unless I put in RO water she said I was wasting my time tryin to put tap water in there I was also told I am going nowhwere without a wet dry filter under my stand I just want some live rock a couple of fish and maybe a few shrimp in my tank I want it to look kinda natural I don't want to invest in all that fancy coral just a plain looking setup where do I start and is it as hard to keep up as that crazy lady at that fish store says she also said to leave my tank bare bottom any help would be appreciated. :notsure:

stessman

doesnt sound like that lady knows what the -#%* she's talking about. You can have your tank without a wet/dry filter but they help alot and you need to look at getting a protein skimmer. As far as the bare bottom thing goes most people here would dissagree and tell you to put live sand in.

oaktree

I was told tap water would produce Hair Algae and there is no way around it I am guessing I need more than just the lights that came with the aquarium. Is the prism the best protein skimmer?

nanoman94

Tap water definately promotes hair algae and there is no such thing as an "easy" setup. You will most likely need to upgrade the lights then what came with the tank, im not sure what yours came with. I would also definitely look into other skimmers besides the Prizm. Thats just my opinion.

yosemite sam

Welcome to the board. If I were you, before I did anything else, I'd get a good book on saltwater tanks and do some background reading. Even fish-only tanks are more difficult to take care of than freshwater tanks. Tapwater is always dangerous to use. It can contain lots of phosphates and other organics that can lead to serious algae problems, as well as heavy metals like copper, etc that will kill invertabrates like snails, hermit crabs and shrimp. Lots of people do have bare-bottom tanks, including myself, but if you are going to have a fish-only tank that isn't as big of a concern. Also, if you don't have any corals or anemones, you don't need anything more than the striplights that came with your tank. Just take it slow, and do a lot of reading. Don't just take other peoples' words for it, make sure you know why you need to get the equipment that you're going to get.

wax32

Read The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. Really helped me get started in the right direction.

oaktree

I am Going to order that book I appreciate the help I know this is harder than all my freshwater tanks but it seems like alot needs to be done before I even get started I have read some books but it was kinda generic info so I went an Bought what I thought could get me started so at least my tank could be setup How long after i get the salt level and temp right should I go and Buy some Live rock and or Damsels both I have been told should be put in to get my tank going

wax32

You won't need damsels. If your salinity is showing ok on your hydrometer you can go ahead and get some Live Rock now. The LR will start your cycle for ya. Then you will need saltwater test kits for Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates. This will monitor your "cycle"... you can read more about that on this board and in that book.... WELCOME to your new addiction! :D

oaktree

Yeah thanks for the welcome I have been online since lunch tryin to find out all I can about this hobby there is alot to learn :yes: