im new and would like ideas pls..........

bbac504

hey i have a 29 gallon bio cube with 20 lbs of live sand about 6 lbs of live rock 2 turbo snails 1 green spiny star fish 3 yellowtail blue damsels and 1 sailfin tang does any one have any idea to make my tank look better as far as rock setup corals and fish and maybe some upgrades just shoot me what u got i will appreciate all suggestions

bbac504

what about coral do i just place it on top of the live rock does it stay like that i would think the water flow would push them around in the corner because i had anemone and that where it ended up and died

jerryatrick

What kind of lighting do you have? I am not a Tang expert but I am pretty sure that your tang will not do well in your tank.

litoallie

Originally Posted by JerryAtrick
http:///forum/post/2639318
What kind of lighting do you have? I am not a Tang expert but I am pretty sure that your tang will not do well in your tank.
yea, I agree. I have a 55 gallon and I'm thinking about getting my red sea desjardinii and it is probably too small for him, too. They need lots of space to swim and hide. You should probably upgrade to a bigger tank, if you want to keep the guy happy. Or trade it in for a smaller tang. If you do insist on keeping it, I think a tank about 110+ gallon will keep him happy. Just a suggestion though.

jacrmill

best thing to do is to look in the fish photography forum, see what you like and then duplicate things here and there. I will tell you what I like, is more small colorful fish, but this is your tank.
But first I would seriously recommend spending some quality time reading posts on this board first. Im not trying to talk down to you, i just think you have already done some things that are strongly recommended against. I think all the fish you have now are probably a bad idea....
in a 20 gallon tank, 3 yellow tail damsels will torment many things you put in there. i know some people say they are peaceful....but they are wrong. They are more peaceful than some damsels, but they are still @$$ holes, i promise. a sailfin tang in a 20 gallon is also strongly recommended against due to its eventual size and need for swimming room.
honestly the best way to make your tank look better is to spend some time reading, you will be surprised how fast you learn. you will also end up saving a lot of money in the long run. And do some looking in the photography section...you'll get there eventually.

bbac504

yea thats sound like a good plan i well look around for a good book on saltwater tanks tomorrow

tangwhispr

that tang has to go...you need a 6ft tank...considering what he's in now, i'd be happy to see him in a 4ft tank

N

nemo_66

yup. i would get rid of the tang 100% without hesitation. next, if i were you, i would get rid of the damsels. yes, they look good for a bargain price, but will be aggressive. i have a 58 gallon, and am going to get rid of my damsel. looks nice, but way to aggressive. its personal choice there though, but you probably wont be able to get any more fish if you have damsels since they will tear them apart.
as far as rocks, you need some. once you get some rock in there, get some mushroom corals or kenya trees as they are easy to keep. you can just super glue the base on the rock, or ruberband it on to a rock. just do a search, there are great threads on how to attach a frag to a rock.
good luck to you

PS- Jacrmill has some good points. i thought i had the most peaceful damsel alive, yet, it destroyed my blue tang, and tried to harass my foxface. so its getting the boot. and all the other things he also stated are very true. spend some time reading.

mr_x

i'm afraid i have to agree with the above. the tang has to go and the damsels will torment any other fish you add.
did you say that was live rock? i too, would add another 20 pounds or so(right after you remove the tang and damsels, and BEFORE you add any new fish). the rock you add will most likely cause a cycle and you don't want your fish going through that sort of thing. a big cycle can be the equivelant of forcing your fish to swim through battery acid- ammonia, and nitrite, being very toxic.
after the tank has cycled(about a month), i'd look into maybe a pair of clowns and a few soft corals.

-and not a maroon clown, they get fairly large. maybe some percula, or ocelaris.

bbac504

what about the star fish and the turbo snails would they be ok in there if i add more rock and start a cycle

prime311

That looks like the maze rock they sell at OceanPro Aquatics. Thats base rock though, not Live rock. Might be different, but thats what it looks like.

kurtymac

my friend has a 90 gallon tank with a huge red sea desjardinii and he beleives that its to small of a tank for him haha. The fish doesnt seem very happy in there eather.