Im new at this need help

emtrock

Hello all.Im setting up a 180 reef tank.I have some salt water experience i use to have a fish only tank. But have been out of the hobby for several years.so for starters im getting a list of fish i would like to have and i could use some advice. Can i put these fish together? and is this to many for a 180 or can i add more?
Percula Clownfish - Aquacultured x1
Black & White Percula Clownfish x1
Flame Angelfish (A) x1
Purple Pseudochromis x1
Snowflake Eel x1
Mandarin Dragonet - Green x1
Mandarin Dragonet - Spotted x1
Flame Hawkfish x1
Blue Hippo Tang x1
Yellow Tang x4
Lunare Wrasse x1
Niger Trigger x1
Royal Gramma x2
Lawnmower Blenny - Orange Spotted x1
I new at this so please dont bash me to much. lol Thank you

emtrock

thank you for your thoughts.does any one else have any thoughts on the fish or the quantity of fish for my tank?

lion_crazz

The mandarins absolutely need to be added last. I would probably only do one, unless you have a ton of live rock and a very large refugium.
I would take out the eel, since it may eat a lot of your crustaceans and smaller fish.
You will only be able to do one royal gramma, since they are a territorial fish. They also might fight with pseudo, so I would pick one or the other. Not both.
The wrasse and trigger need to be removed as well, since both of those are not reef safe and will pick at all of inverts and smaller fish.
How much live rock do you plan on putting in this tank? You have a lot of fish on that list that demand a heavy load of live rock to graze on, so I would not consider anything less than 200 lbs.

emtrock

well i havent even thought of how much rock i needed yet.im still learning about all of this.but if u say 200lbs min. on the rock then i guess i will go between 2 an 300 lbs to be safe.thats why i want a good fish list first then i will know what enviroment to build for them.any other tips and advice on building my 180 would be apreciated.im going to revise my fish list for u all to inspect. thank you

emtrock

ok here is the updated fish list:
flame Angelfish x1
Mandarin Dragonet - Spotted x1 (maybe last thing)
Flame Hawkfish x1
Blue Hippo Tang x1
Yellow Tang x4
Sixline Wrasse x1
Royal Gramma x1
Purple Tilefish x1
Blue Reef Chromis x2
Blackcap Basslet x1
ok will this work in a 180?(72x18.5x30) and what would be a good clean up crew to work with these fish?

beatlesfan

Originally Posted by emtrock
ok here is the updated fish list:
flame Angelfish x1
Mandarin Dragonet - Spotted x1 (WILL last thing)
Flame Hawkfish x1
Blue Hippo Tang x1
Yellow Tang x4
Sixline Wrasse x1
Royal Gramma x1
Purple Tilefish x1
Blue Reef Chromis x2
Blackcap Basslet x1
ok will this work in a 180?(72x18.5x30) and what would be a good clean up crew to work with these fish?
small revision (sp) to it. check the mandarin

beatlesfan

also no more than 2 yellow tangs they are territorial and even though peiople amy say to keep them in groups your better off just keeping 1-2 you may be able to get away with 3 with that size tank but......

emtrock

ok ty all for the info on the fish list i think i will go with your sugestions.now is there any restrictions on a clean up crew with these fish?

bcollie

Stringrayman is right...the black & white clown is an ocellaris, not a true percula. You will be better off with a orange & white ocellaris(false perc) and the black & white ocellaris (false perc). I know everybody is mixing different colored clowns together, but as I understand it, the rule is still do not mix different species.....keep ocellaris with ocellaris and percs with percs. Everybody will be happier in the end.
And instead of two tangs, try a foxface rabbitfish and a tang. Foxface and tangs make absolutely great buddies!