im new here

jakob

hello hello I'm new here and have a few ?s. I have a very simple saltwater aquarium with a lion fish a puffer and 2 damsels, and would like to have a reef aquarium. what all do I need for a 55 gl reef aquarium. how much live rock do I need? what accessories do I need to keep a reef aquarium. what is some good coral, fish and inverts do I need or should I wont. :happyfish

jakob

ok well anyway what do i need to start a reef aquarium( i wont put the lionfish or the puffer in there)

el bob

well, make sure u get a reef ready tank so that you can have a sump, and then you will need to get a protein skimmer, powerful pump, refregreum, heater, a few power heads, about 40 lbs of liver sand, about 60 pounds of live rock, some kind of filter, or u can use lots of live rock as filtration, some one else take over from here

1journeyman

Originally Posted by jakob
hello hello I'm new here and have a few ?s. I have a very simple saltwater aquarium with a lion fish a puffer and 2 damsels, and would like to have a reef aquarium. what all do I need for a 55 gl reef aquarium. how much live rock do I need? what accessories do I need to keep a reef aquarium. what is some good coral, fish and inverts do I need or should I wont. :happyfish
For a good reef aquarium you need strong lights.
There are a lot of different type corals, but depending on which ones you choose a stronger current is usually in order. Are you currently using a skimmer?

jakob

i do not have a skimmer as of now but will buy one soon if i can afford it how much do they cost. i am only 17 so i hope it is not to much.
what is a MH

kayak385

Originally Posted by jakob
i do not have a skimmer as of now but will buy one soon if i can afford it how much do they cost. i am only 17 so i hope it is not to much.
what is a MH
metal halide(expensive lights)... skimmers are roughly between 85 to 300 bucks.
Check this sight for eq

jakob

ok that's not to bad ill just sell my liver to science to pay for this new aquarium.
what do all these things do. sorry I am so inquisitive but the more ?s I ask the better chance of me getting it right the first time

1journeyman

A skimmer is an amazing creation...
It combines water with air (different skimmers do this differently) to produce a bubbling mess. These bubbles travel up to the "tower" where they overflow into a cup. The bubbles collect dissolved solids in the water and collect it in the cup too.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
A skimmer is an amazing creation...
It combines water with air (different skimmers do this differently) to produce a bubbling mess. These bubbles travel up to the "tower" where they overflow into a cup. The bubbles collect dissolved solids in the water and collect it in the cup too.
A skimmer is an absolute must for any salt system. Trust us, you will not believe what comes out of your crystal clear water