I'm ready to start dripping Kalk...advice?

ntvflgirl

Hi Everyone..haven't been around in awhile, but I was hoping I could still pick your brain. My reef tank is doing fairly well...cept I'm having a hair algae problem. I canNOT figure out where the phosphates are coming from. I'm using roi/di water...trying to do everything right...nothing is helping.
So my questions are
1. Will dripping kalk, among all it's other glorious advantages, REALLY precipitate the phosphates, thus smothering the hair algae, like I was told? Or am I dreaming.
2. How much water and Kalk should I start off with?
Thanks.

nm reef

Yes...addition of kalk can help precipitate phosphates out of the water column...which makes it easier for a skimmer to remove it. At least that is how I understand it. I'm not a scientific type reefkeeper so I can explain how or why...But I do believe it helps.
What I've found to work is a steady drip 24/7 at a very slow rate basically just enough to keep pace with evaporation(which in my case is nearly 2 gal per day)...I mix my kalk in 5 gal containers and add 1 teaspoon of mix per gal of water. I mix it well and let it settle for 12-24 hours before dripping it. Try not to let the scum on the top layer get in your system and definitely don't use the sediment on the bottom(my drip line is inserted about 3" above the bottom). Its a good idea to have establihed and stable levels of calcium & alkalinity first...because the kalk is very effective at maintaining established levels of calcium&alkalinity. Also take care to use a slow drip method to add kalk...its PH is much higher than the 8.0-8.2 we want our reefs to maintain...if added too fast kalk can alter the PH of your system.
Each system is different so you'll have to design your addition of kalk around how your system works...but those are the basics as I understand them.:cool:

nm reef

Yup...thats true...that guy should publish his thread...could make a fortune...then donate to the "Refurbish NMreef fund"...lol;)