Im screwed! NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!

I have a Bak Pak 2 and it stopped working. When i came home today i took a look at the tank and i noticed the Bak Pak 2 was not working. I thouhgt it was the power head so i cleaned that and the collection cup but nothing worked. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

koolaid

Do you have any liverock in the tank? Do you have any other type of circulation in the tank? I would definitly keep an eye on your parameters. You may have to do daily water changes of 10-15%. But you have to have circulation in the tank.

Check to see if any debris got lodged in the impeller. It doesn't take much to lock it up if it is solid. I've even had sand get sucked up and lock up an impeller.

Ok well i took apart the powerhead and the impeller doesnt totally spin around. When it spins half way it just locks. Is it suppose to totally spin around.

nas19320

What kind of powerhead is it? Can you take the impeller out? Take a look at the magnet and see if it is cracked.

squidd

Impellers generally have a "half turn" or so free spin on the shaft/magnet...
If the magnet itself will not physically turn it may be frozen in place with either sand/grit or a calcium deposit...
See if you can pull the magnet out of the pump, then soak the magnet/impeller/shaft in vinager...also fill the inside of the pump hole with vinager.
Let it soak for an hour or two and then brush out/off the accumulated gunk.
The magnet should spin freely on the shaft, check the ends of the shaft between the magnet and rubber bushings for buildup also.
:cool:

goatfish

I'm guessing you have the rio that came with the bak pak. Rios are junk you might as well chunk it and get a replacement. I replaced the rio on my bak pak with a maxi-jet 900 with the turbo intake kit ($5.00) and man what a difference it made. It has made my skimmer perform much better and if I leave for the weekend I don't have to worry about my skimmer quiting on me.