I'm screwed

mr.smiley

well today my dad tells me that today will be your last day of using the RO/DI water. Thats is are filtered drinking water and i have been using it for water changes. What do i do now??? He says it been costing us lots of money.
*takes deep breath* What to do??:notsure: :confused:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using a RO/DI system, or are you buying bottles. Bottled water is very expensive. If you can get up the funds for a system thought, it is not so costly and you might be able to convince DAD to do it if you can get a system that can also be hooked at the same time to the refridgerator.

tmichel

If it was me and if you had no way of getting RO/DI water, I'd just buy distilled from the grocery store. I would never use tapwater even with declorinator or other chemicals.

sirgunther

I wonder what all the fowlr and reef tanks did just 10-15 years ago when there was no alternative to tap water and de-chlorinater...:confused:

nas19320

De-chlorinator is not a "cure-all", it wouldn't get rid of the phosphates or copper in my tapwater. The better the water the easier it is to maintain a tank in many cases.

B

big911dog

I wonder what all the fowlr and reef tanks did just 10-15 years ago when there was no alternative to tap water and de-chlorinater...
yea, technology is bad. DAMN those toilets, lightbulbs, and computers to access SWF.com!
Offer to pay by doing some extra chores or get a job. This hobby requires commitment....Ask my electrical company what mine is!

alison

You can buy ro water from grocery stores and fill your 5 gallon jugs for around 25cents per gallon. I did that before I got a ro unit. Way easier to just have a unit, and it saves me a little money compared to buying it all the time at the grocery store. Also Bang made a good point on another thread that grocery store ro units tend to let their filters go a little longer than we would, and certain things probably slip through. But silicates are SOOOO bad, and you can't really get that out unless you do ro. I think if you can't buy an ro unit, the grocery store ro is a good bet, or your local lfs, but they tend to be a lot more. Good luck, ali:happyfish
Oh, and switching to ro I noticed a HUGE difference in the corals, and less algae problems and the fish were a lot happier.-ali

scoobydoo

MY LFS gives the RO water for free. All you have to do is bring in containers. Great customer service and it keeps you coming back and buying more.

sirgunther

Originally posted by Big911Dog
yea, technology is bad. DAMN those toilets, lightbulbs, and computers to access SWF.com!
Offer to pay by doing some extra chores or get a job. This hobby requires commitment....Ask my electrical company what mine is!

I never said technology was bad.. lol.. But im just not the type of person to go out and buy something just becuase its advertised or bragged about being "the cure all" or the "next best fix for".. ect yada yada..

tina

Originally posted by lionfish12
After i got the 125 and had everyting pluged in our electric bill went sky high.

Please state relevance here: ________

pontius

I'm sure you can have a tank without RO water, wasn't in the hobby 10 years ago so I don't know. But two obvious problems is that you probably wouldn't be able to successfully keep corals with tap water, and you would probably be CONSTANTLY fighting algae outbreaks. my RO unit was about $100 and doesn't add any noticeable cost to the water bill. but when not in use, it has to be turned off or waste water will run constantly, which WILL cause the water bill to go up