I'm starting new 210gal "aggressive" tank What do I use for CUC ?

gkat66

I will be picking up a complete setup next week,but I'm going to clean everything out and start fresh.
I am planning on an "aggressive" tank and almost everthing I want will eat a standard clean up crew. What do you suggest.

stock list=
1 Volitans Lion
1 Trigger ( Odonus niger )
1 Foxface Rabbitfish
? Snowflake eel?
? Blue-ring Angel ?
? Polkadot Grouper ?
Buy the way, I know it will be a very long time before the tank is fully stocked. I want to go slow and do it right !

The only fish on the list that is an absolute must have is the Lion, the rest are just maybes.
All suggestions and advice are welcome !!!

gkat66

210 gal DL +40 or 50 gal.sump/fuge , I forgot to mention , I want coral as well.
I love the Achilles Tang.

S

saxman

Large angelfish and lionfish are a bad combination...the angel will likely harass the lion to death. Also, altho it's considered a planktonic-feeding trigger, sometimes O. niger can be problematic as well. Your best bet is to add the trigger last, and/or choose a Xanthichtys sp. trigger.
SFE's are OK when smaller, but IME, once they hit about 18" - 20", they get pretty nasty and may go after sleeping tankmates. In fact, I was bitten twice by the specimen I kept for about 15 years...once, it came out of the water to bite me while I was changing a lamp in the canopy.

spongeycrab

210 gal DL +40 or 50 gal.sump/fuge , I forgot to mention , I want coral as well.
I love the Achilles Tang.
How long have your been in the hobby? Achilles are very hard to care for. A reef pred. Tank isn't a good idea possible but not a good idea. Just do it the right way. Dwarf lion fish won't eat hermits or snails. And Niger triggers can live in reefs with inverts so can blue jaws. A tang that eats alge is yellow eye kole and all bristletooth tangs.
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1N8ShExUb-w[/VIDEO]

gkat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/393272/im-starting-new-210gal-aggressive-tank-what-do-i-use-for-cuc#post_3497390
Large angelfish and lionfish are a bad combination...the angel will likely harass the lion to death. Also, altho it's considered a planktonic-feeding trigger, sometimes O. niger can be problematic as well. Your best bet is to add the trigger last, and/or choose a Xanthichtys sp. trigger.
SFE's are OK when smaller, but IME, once they hit about 18" - 20", they get pretty nasty and may go after sleeping tankmates. In fact, I was bitten twice by the specimen I kept for about 15 years...once, it came out of the water to bite me while I was changing a lamp in the canopy.
I've read this info in other post as well. Lion will be the first fish ,prob no angels EVER, and if I do get a Trigger it will be last.
And your right about SFE , it will be hard to stay away from ,but all of the folks on here with experience will keep me on the right path.

Thanks for your 2 cents saxman !

gkat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongeycrab http:///t/393272/im-starting-new-210gal-aggressive-tank-what-do-i-use-for-cuc#post_3497391
How long have your been in the hobby? Achilles are very hard to care for. A reef pred. Tank isn't a good idea possible but not a good idea. Just do it the right way. Dwarf lion fish won't eat hermits or snails. And Niger triggers can live in reefs with inverts so can blue jaws. A tang that eats alge is yellow eye kole and all bristletooth tangs.
Ha ha I'm just getting started, and I would'nt get an Achilles for at least a year or more. When I said I'm going to take my time I was serious. I 've been visiting this site and others for years,as a guest,I finally joined. I've been reading post on here for so long most of you feel like family,and you don't even know me LOL
I do take everyones opinions seriously
and I don't want my Lion hurt.

S

saxman

You're welcome GKat...
Any questions you may have about lionfish, I can probably answer...I've kept them for over 20 years, and for the past few years, We've been keeping and studying venomous fish pretty much exclusively...FWIW, my wife, Cranberry here on SWF, and I "own" Lionfish Lair.
BTW, lionfish won't touch snails, hermits, cukes, and the likes, but will indeed eat shrimp and "regular"-type crabs.

reefr

also a "polka dot grouper" i infer you mean the panther grouper. these get COLOSSAL- 27", too big for a 210.

gkat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFR http:///t/393272/im-starting-new-210gal-aggressive-tank-what-do-i-use-for-cuc#post_3497886
also a "polka dot grouper" i infer you mean the panther grouper. these get COLOSSAL- 27", too big for a 210.
Yes thats the one , can you recommend one that would work, if there is one

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman
http:///t/393272/im-starting-new-210gal-aggressive-tank-what-do-i-use-for-cuc#post_3497870
You're welcome GKat...
Any questions you may have about lionfish, I can probably answer...I've kept them for over 20 years, and for the past few years, We've been keeping and studying venomous fish pretty much exclusively...FWIW, my wife, Cranberry here on SWF, and I "own" Lionfish Lair.
BTW, lionfish won't touch snails, hermits, cukes, and the likes, but will indeed eat shrimp and "regular"-type crabs.
I've read as many threads ,links ,and articles by you and your wife as I could find .
All very informative , and the pictures are wonderful. Thank you for sharing so much info,I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions in the future.

reefr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKAT66 http:///t/393272/im-starting-new-210gal-aggressive-tank-what-do-i-use-for-cuc#post_3497963
Yes thats the one , can you recommend one that would work, if there is one

I've read as many threads ,links ,and articles by you and your wife as I could find .
All very informative , and the pictures are wonderful. Thank you for sharing so much info,I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions in the future.

are you asking whch grouper would be good in a 210?

salt210

What about a zebra moray? Blue throats have nice color. Unfortunately I can only speak for my luck for about a month with the mix

kdonohoe36697

Zebra morays tend to be very social and most sites say they can get along just fine. I have a Russell's lion and a snowflake eel. They get along just fine so I wouldn't predict a problem with the zebra morays

dmanatee

Also, your Idea about having a Lion fish and a Fox fish will work. (Or its worked for me.) They seem to just ignore each other, but the lion does seem to get jealous when I am putting algae in for the herbivore and the lion gets nothing.