Im thinking about upgrading my lights....

hallzy

Hey guys, I was thinking about upgrading my lights on my 65g reef tank. Right now I have 96w T5 system that has 4x24 T5 bulbs. It was on my 29g reef before I upgraded to the 65g, and Im worried that 96w of T5 isnt enough for some of my coral now that theyre in a bigger tank, and Im currently looking at a system that has 1X 250 Metal Halide with 4x 39 watt T5 HO Bulbs w/ blue led moonlights, for a total of 406w.
The questions I have are: Am I right to worry that my current system isnt a high enough wattage? And would the system Im looking at be TOO MUCH for my tank? Ive never dabbled in MHs before, so I dont know much about them. I thought i remember reading that they can burn some coral if your using too much, but i could be remembering wrong.
Any help would be greatly appriciated!

hallzy

Cancel that, The one I was looking at is out of stock, and not sure when they will be getting more in. And any other that is similar are far as wattage goes are out of my price range. I found something else that might be sufficient, and it doesnt involve a MH, since Ive never really messed with them before. The one Im looking at now has six 39w bulbs for a total of 234w. Would this be enough for my tank?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzy http:///t/390180/im-thinking-about-upgrading-my-lights#post_3453693
Cancel that, The one I was looking at is out of stock, and not sure when they will be getting more in. And any other that is similar are far as wattage goes are out of my price range. I found something else that might be sufficient, and it doesnt involve a MH, since Ive never really messed with them before. The one Im looking at now has six 39w bulbs for a total of 234w. Would this be enough for my tank?
I have a 6 bulb T5HO over my 90g..so I'm going to say ....yes.

snakeblitz33

I would say that a 6 bulb T5 system would work well over a 65g tank as well. If you want some higher end high lighting condition corals such as SPS corals, or an anemone or a clam, I would recommend using an 8 bulb system and upgrade the bulbs to brand name bulbs, such as ATI brand.

hallzy

I have a 6 bulb T5HO over my 90g..so I'm going to say ....yes.

What kind of coral do u have? I do have a couple candy canes, would they be ok with a 6 light set up? Snakeblitz said something about higher grade for sps which is what group candy canes are in right? They are the ones that seem to be hurting most since I upgraded my tank... I also have a hammer and frogspawn that seem to be doing just fine still.

hallzy

My bad, candy canes are an lps, I got my ps's mixed up again. Lol I don't have any sps's (that im aware of anyway).