Im tired of hearing this...

S

sak300zx

enough is enough with all of you people will 300 gallon tanks with a goby and percula saying the tank is over crowded .you all are so full of it... the fish will not grow to be its normal adult size because they are in captivity and the size depends on the tank. so give me a break already!!

stacyt

SAK300ZX,
Are you saying that fish will grow to the size of the tank? If so that is incorrect.

aandersen

In my experience, SWF do keep growing and can outgrow a tank, which also stresses them out, Freshwater fish however do not get as big

socer03dud

i agree, the fish will not grow to be the biggest size it can get! It will just grow to "fit the space" It won't grow to be the size of texas or or not grow at all it will grow to "fit the space'!!!!!!!!!
:jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

stacyt

That is a commen misconception. Fish will continue to grow, even if there is not enough space. Then if not given adequate space it will start to stress, leading to an early death.
I've seen puffer's, tangs, lions, triggers, and angels that have OUTGROWN the small tanks that they where in. Most of them come in to the LFS to be traded in.

nas19320

I agree with StacyT. I have seen a lionfish that was kept in a much to small tank and as it grew the tips of its fins began to grow curled due to the small tank size.

greatfullreefer

Originally posted by Socer03dud
i agree, the fish will not grow to be the biggest size it can get! It will just grow to "fit the space" It won't grow to be the size of texas or or not grow at all it will grow to "fit the space'!!!!!!!!!
:jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

So if we put you in a small room when you reach adulthood you woul only be 2 ft tall?..lol...get real.
:hilarious

T

tizzo

Originally posted by MissCrayon
Thats like saying people who live in small houses will be smaller then people who live in big houses. DNA doesnt care how big the place is you live.

I blame my height on my house, so don't spread this info please. However this IS correct... I believed your theory once but my great white didn't grasp the concept.

austinreef

Originally posted by SAK300ZX
enough is enough with all of you people will 300 gallon tanks with a goby and percula saying the tank is over crowded .you all are so full of it... the fish will not grow to be its normal adult size because they are in captivity and the size depends on the tank. so give me a break already!!

Yikes!:D

lovethesea

there are 2 issues here....growth of the fish and tank requirement. Sure anyone can keep a tang or a lion in a 40 or 50 gallon tank. But will it be the right environment for the fish or the owner?:thinking:

rbmount

The way I see it is, It's your tank and your money. The question is do you want to spend more money on fish that die from stress and from agression of other overcrowded fish, or spend less money to have a tank that thrives where the fish live a long time, and have ample room to swim?

T

tizzo

Originally posted by MissCrayon
troll ??:confused:

I believe that is somebody who posts their opinion as fact to stir up argument and debate for drama.

buzz

I have heard the theory of fish growing only to fit the tank, but really only in reference to fresh water fish, and that I am not even certain on.
I do not believe that applies to SW fish. But you're right. They probably will never actually outgrow the tank because they will die long before then if kept in a tank too small.
...oh...and I am right there with Bang Guy. Troll...there is no other reason to post like that out of the blue.

fishtanker

what i think happens when u put a fish, that can grow large (tangs, full size angels, puffers etc), in smaller tanks is that their growth gets stunted due to stress. also their immune system breaks down so they continuely get sick and their color never looks good which is a sure sign that a fish is not happy.
so people may think that a fish grows to the size of the tank and stuff them in, but in fact the fish is only reacting negatively to the poor living conditions and never reaches adulthood