IMO, we need to stop using IMO

nitschke65

I guess i figure that, if your responding to something I post here, you are, in fact, giving me your opinion on the subject: unless, of course, you are giving me someone elses opinion (ISEO) or you are the foremost authority on the subject I want to discuss or ask about. (IATFAOTSYWTDOAA)

sepulatian

We use IMO because sometimes people will take what you say as solid fact. It is important to say that something is only your opinion, especially when discussing personal experience and your own thoughts on a given situation.

nitschke65

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2870299
We use IMO because sometimes people will take what you say as solid fact. It is important to say that something is only your opinion, especially when discussing personal experience and your own thoughts on a given situation.

I believe that IMO is used more as a disclaimer than anything else. The truly experienced people on this site seem to almost never use it. Those who do use it just don't have the courage of their convictions, and, therefore, throw it in to say, If your tank dies, don't blame me, this is just "my opinion." If you're discussing your personal experience, it's not your opinion at all, now is it?
And, to answer the other question, you'll never see IATFAOTSYWTDOAA, or, "I am the foremost authority on the subject you want to discuss or ask about."

ruaround

Originally Posted by nitschke65
http:///forum/post/2870209
I guess i figure that, if your responding to something I post here, you are, in fact, giving me your opinion on the subject: unless, of course, you are giving me someone elses opinion (ISEO) or you are the foremost authority on the subject I want to discuss or ask about. (IATFAOTSYWTDOAA)
IMO i think i need to let you know that it is IMO...
but hey thats JMO...

sepulatian

Originally Posted by nitschke65
http:///forum/post/2870320
I believe that IMO is used more as a disclaimer than anything else. The truly experienced people on this site seem to almost never use it. Those who do use it just don't have the courage of their convictions, and, therefore, throw it in to say, If your tank dies, don't blame me, this is just "my opinion." If you're discussing your personal experience, it's not your opinion at all, now is it?
And, to answer the other question, you'll never see IATFAOTSYWTDOAA, or, "I am the foremost authority on the subject you want to discuss or ask about."
I use IMO all of the time. Are you saying that I just throw that in because I truly have no idea what I am talking about? I use it because sometimes I am posting my opinion on a given subject. Is there something wrong with that?

nitschke65

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2870389
I use IMO all of the time. Are you saying that I just throw that in because I truly have no idea what I am talking about? I use it because sometimes I am posting my opinion on a given subject. Is there something wrong with that?
I am saying that its an irritating, throw away, near meaningless internet abbreviation that wastes space and BUGS ME to no end.
UNLESS YOU'RE GOD, I KNOW IT'S YOUR OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In general, Sepulatian, when I see that you've posted something, I'm happy that I'll be reading something worthwile. With 14,000+ posts you obviously have a lot of experience, and this site is all about people sharing their experiences and opinions. There was a recent thread started about pie. No one posted anything like, "IMO, apple is the best" because saying that apple is the best is obviously an opinion.
IMO, this must just be one of my pet peeves.

reefkprz

well some time the information is nescessarily divided into opinion from fact such as
fact: a specific gravity under 1.024 can be harmfull to inverts
IMO 1.027 is the best SG level for maintaning inverts and keeping trace element levels high.
its a time saving device as well as being utilitarian.

spanko

I use it most often when the answer to the question warrants like
How do I remove the sand from my tank to go bare bottom?
What is this in my tank,(especially here when not sure of the call)
Etc. Etc.
I have also used IME.
Of course the above is JMO!