Importance of regular water changes?

clint_reno

My tank is up and running, cycled w/fish. My levels are good. How often are water changes recommended? Are they neccesary on a regular basis? Many thanks in advance.

birdy

This is a HIGHLY debated subject. I feel that the best is weekly 10% water changes. I usually wind up doing monthly 20% water changes. Water changes help remove impurities in the water (nitrates, phosphates) more importantly they replace trace elements that are used up in the tank.

karajay

This is quite a loaded question. Many, many different views on the subject.
I personally change 5-10% a week. I think it's a good idea to pull some of the old water out and add some fresh stuff. Like a breath of fresh air for the fishies.
:)

jrpage

I do a 10% weekly mostly because it's almost painless. Much easier to prepare/store and aerate smaller batches of water and it takes IMO much less time. I also feel it's much less stressful on my fish to take/add smaller portions of their environment and do it in a quicker time.
I've also read many times that almost all diseases can stem from or be cured by water quality.

jsb

This is going to sound funny, but I do just under 10% a week. It's more like 7% a week. This is because of the size of my container. It turns out being 27% a month. Is that too much. But thinking about it I have to top off about a gallon a week as well. I don't know anymore.

jsb

Originally posted by Kip4130
you arent topping off with saltwater are ya?
i think an overal 30% a month is fine... you just dont wanna change so often.. or so much quantity that you spend all of your time getting your chemistry leveled back out... but with bunches of small water changes... that shouldnt happen.

No. I check the salinity before I add anyway. Then check it again the day after. Just to make sure it isn't jumping around too much.

clint_reno

Thanks for the response. I never top off. All my tests have been decent, once the tank cycled. All my fish seem pretty hungry most of the time, so I am concerned about food breakdown, but I have a small clean-up crew, and there really doesn't seem to be any left over.
I guess a 10% change every other week might be a good place to start, provided all my tests remain consistant. Once again, thanks.

beaslbob

Over the years I have found that by establishing a thriving plant growth (even hair algae) water changes are not only unecessary but detrimental. With plant life and by only replaceing the water that evaporates, the system matures and everything settles down and stabilizes.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Kip4130
Most people will advise you to do water changes.....
without water changes.. there is no ionically stable trace element replacement.
arguements can be made about waste removal, but we wont get into that.
I think for a new hobbyist... stick with water changes until you have a thorough understanding of your system's needs and then make your decision based on the education you have accumulated from your experience, message boards, fellow reefers, books, and online articles.
I believe you will, as I, find that water changes do a whole lotta good for your system.

Now how can anyone argure with a perfectly LOGICAL post like that.
Dateline:Salisbury, NC.....................
In a cerimony today Kip was knighted for his massive restraint, even temperment, and excellent post dude.
I dub thee SIR Kip, champion of the people, protector of the aquarium, and defender of the Newbie's.
Hip Hip Hooray :cheer:
I wouldn't post this emoticon for just anyone but here goes.

Thomas