Important fish growth ? (and insurance)

lukeb321

OK I'm on the 3rd floor of my apartment and have been looking for renters insurance so that I can upgrade my tank. I bought a 125 and was already to go.
I contacted two different companies - one didnt cover water damage and the other said no problem. I was supposed to go down to thier local office yesterday and before I could they called and said they changed thier mind and wouldnt cover me at all. Well I am leaving the apartment in July (6 months) and will def. be moving to a 1st floor apartment.
Heres my question - I have a 60 gallon now which I have had for almost a year, in there are 3 chromis, inverts, and 2 tiny tiny bannerfish. I planned on moving them to the 125 but now might have to change that plan unless I can move them.
My question is should I bring them back or will 6 months be ok?
I actually took out some live rock and they "seem" to have tons of room but Im not a fish. I have had them for 2 weeks and they are eating like pigs but just want the best for them.
How fast do they grow?
Will they grow just a little or a lot in 6 months? Thanks.
Wish me luck Im searching for insurance today again.

triga22

They look real nice. Im dont have experience with this fish but if thats all you have then I say they will be fine. But again i may be wrong.

jayeden

hey luke, i actually work constriction, doing mainly 10+ storey apartment buildings...mind if i ask waht year your building was built in?

jayeden

hmmmmm.....ususally in an apartment builing, every floor is steel rods, encoded in cement flooring, BUT, that building was built before i was even born...are you more worried about the tank breaking anf flooding, or the floor not being strong enough?

jayeden

should not be a problem, i had a 100 gallon on the 2nd storey of my house not too long ago...and the floor of the house is not nearly as strong as any aprtment floor...i would not worry about it...

mandarin w

I am not a contractor, or a builder of anytype. But when I wanted to put up my 180 in my third floor apt. the landlord sent a engineer over to check and be sure it would be ok. While the engineer was here he told me a few things. One being that in comercal houseing, like apartments, the building codes are more stricked and are inforce. Alot of building codes went into play in the 70's. He said something about anyfloor above a second floor has to beable to suport something like 2000 lbs force per square foot. I don't know what that means. He also said something about subfloorings are best if a concrete whatever (which mine is) this concrete pad thing it sends weight across the floor so even if te heavy object is on one side of the room the whole floor and even the opisite wall support it. Something like that, I really didn't know what he was talking about, it was all french to me. But the finally statement I did understand, 180 with 75 gallons sump, No Problem.

lukeb321

oh man dont tempt me to fill the tank today and tom. Have off tom. for the holiday and oh what fun I could have.
Maybe Ill contact an engineer.

mandarin w

Ask the landlord to check the blue prints, to be sure the subfloor is a concrete pad. If it is, you should be alright. as far as the floor suporting it. But you need to make sure the tank is 100% level in all directions. Put your tank on the stand where you would like to set it up. Check level, side x side, front x back on both ends and middle, corner x corner. If all angles and sides are level. fill the tank up about half way, and let it sit for a day or two. and check level all around again, see if the floor is going to settle at all. If it is still good. Then your tank should be alright.
As I said I have my 180 with a 75 gallon sump in my third floor apt. but not all situations are the same. First check with your landlord, about the structure of the building and to be sure it would be ok.

lukeb321

ok thanks for all the replies still looking to contact engineers in the area but back to the other questions.
What about the growth of the fish?
How fast do they grow in 6 months?

mandarin w

I don't think they would grow too big for the tank in six months. But banner fish are hard to keep, they are picky eaters, and with such tiny little mouths they have a hard time eating most foods. Be sure you find out what is best to feed them, and try to hand feed them. I mean use a turkey baster and let them eat from that. But as for size, they should be good for about six months.