In memory of Misty...

laurie01

I'm sad to say that my cat Misty passed away Friday evening. We think it was just old age - she was a couple weeks shy of 15, but in great health. It happened all of a sudden. I will miss her greatly. I still walk through the house expecting her to be waiting for me...in the library, at the top of the stairs, in the living room (yelling at me to get her breakfast), sitting next to me at the computer (surfing saltwaterfish.com)-waiting for me to go to bed, or for her to sneak up behind me while I am watching TV and start yelling at the back of my head for attention (a favorite passtime of hers).

jaymz

Im very sorry. She looks like a very healthy/pretty cat from the pictures. I losing a pet is aweful.
The way I see it atleast it was sudden. She didnt struggle. You didnt get to say a proper good bye but I think it is better then watching them fall apart over time.

keri

I'm sorry to hear that :( losing a pet is always hard, especially one who has shared 15 years of your life.

mimzy

Oh no :-( So sorry to hear. Sounds like she had a great life with you! I know what a shock it is to loose them suddenly, but my hope for you is that you'll eventually be able to take comfort in knowing that she passed quickly, with dignity, and in the midst of her normal, happy kitty life.
She was such a pretty kitty.... <<<<<<<hugs>>>>>>>

laurie01

Thank you very much for all your thoughts. Misty was a great cat - one of those who thought the world revolved around her (and there should be no other cats or dogs on earth except for her, and that all humans were here to serve her). It made for an interesting life. She died quickly - only over a matter of a couple hours. The other thing I look at, is that she was quite content with her life. Although I still have a habit of walking through the house leaving all the doors open 4" - after 15 years, guess I can't expect anything else.
Eventually we will probably adopt a couple cats from our local Humane Society, and give a home to some other kitties who need one. (Misty was adopted from the ASPCA.)
Thank you again.
Laurie

pounceyj

Originally Posted by laurie01
http:///forum/post/2752417
I'm sad to say that my cat Misty passed away Friday evening. We think it was just old age - she was a couple weeks shy of 15, but in great health. It happened all of a sudden. I will miss her greatly. I still walk through the house expecting her to be waiting for me...in the library, at the top of the stairs, in the living room (yelling at me to get her breakfast), sitting next to me at the computer (surfing saltwaterfish.com)-waiting for me to go to bed, or for her to sneak up behind me while I am watching TV and start yelling at the back of my head for attention (a favorite passtime of hers).
I lost my "Man" just over a week ago. I still hear him snoring behind the couch. Does it ever get easier?
He was 11; my first born.

demartini

awww =( my kitty that I had my whole life passed away about 2 years ago... I still miss her so much.

laurie01

Originally Posted by pounceyj
http:///forum/post/2753316
I lost my "Man" just over a week ago. I still hear him snoring behind the couch. Does it ever get easier?
He was 11; my first born.
I'm so sorry to hear about Man. Eventually it gets easier, but we will always miss our beloved pets. They become such a part of our lives. I had another cat that I had to put to sleep in Dec. 2002 (right before Christmas) at age 7 1/2 that I still miss. Cleo used to follow me EVERYWHERE, always. (It took Misty 12 years before she finally figured out that I would pay more attention to her than anyone else in the house, and started following me around.)
My thoughts are with you.

kingsmith

Wow what a beautiful cat, about two months ago we had to put our cat miff down. orginally my neighbors but kicked out by the wife when they got divorced so I took him in since I used to care for him when they were on vacation. He was an awsome cat had a whole state park to himself and he would go allover the park dissapearing for weeks soemtimes a real free spririt. But he was 17 and getting so skinny and blind that we thought it would be better to put him down then have him get hurt or killed by something outside.

laurie01

Originally Posted by KingSmith
http:///forum/post/2753505
Wow what a beautiful cat, about two months ago we had to put our cat miff down. orginally my neighbors but kicked out by the wife when they got divorced so I took him in since I used to care for him when they were on vacation. He was an awsome cat had a whole state park to himself and he would go allover the park dissapearing for weeks soemtimes a real free spririt. But he was 17 and getting so skinny and blind that we thought it would be better to put him down then have him get hurt or killed by something outside.
It's so sad to have to put your pet to sleep; but as you said KingSmith, at least he didn't suffer that way, whereas he might have gotten hurt otherwise. At 17, he lived a very long and fulfilling life...having an entire state park to roam around in? What a dream for a kitty! What kind of "presents" did he bring back for you? I can only imagine...!
By the way, thank you for your compliment about Misty being a pretty cat.

kingsmith

http:///forum/post/2754050
It's so sad to have to put your pet to sleep; but as you said KingSmith, at least he didn't suffer that way, whereas he might have gotten hurt otherwise. At 17, he lived a very long and fulfilling life...having an entire state park to roam around in? What a dream for a kitty! What kind of "presents" did he bring back for you? I can only imagine...!
Yeah at first I was S0 upset and saw him every where even my 0ther cat (and they F0UGHT often) was noticably upset. This is Life and the more I thought about it I realized it was Probably best. Yeah my cats were blessed with all the woods around and he caught it all, but was especiaaly good at birds he would sit 4 hours in one spot 2 make a catch. He had n0 front claws but still could climb trees and hunt everything. Nice to talk with u and once again G00DLUCK and I am Sorry for ur loss

kingsmith

http:///forum/post/2754050
I really mean Misty looks just like(well not exactly but just as beautiful) my other cat Grandmaster my little orphan

laurie01

KingSmith - The way I choose to look at losing a pet (either unexpectedly or having to put it to sleep-I've experienced both) is to try to find the good in the situation. Even though Misty was considered "senior" at 7, and was 15 - it is certainly not unheard of for a cat to live a lot longer (like Miff). One of my husband's aunts had a cat who was 27 before it died. I had always said that Misty was very healthy, and by far the noisiest cat I have ever met (including all the ones at my local humane society); therefore she would probably be around for ever. She never shut up - that's why in the top photo in this thread, her mouth is open. So it's very sad to see her go at least a couple years earlier that I thought. However, for the time she was here, she lived quite a content life and was happy.
Misty looks like Grandmaster? Cool! ...and Miff would really sit still for 4 hours just to catch something? Wow - that's patience! Pets certainly make our lives interesting. Leaves will be falling very soon here - it will be strange not to have a cat around to chase them as they fall past the window.
Evenutally I will most likely adopt a couple more cats. There are always more kitties who need homes.

sharkbait9

Laurie01 and pounceyj so sorry for you both. Our pets take a hold of our hearts and leave a deep void when they go.
What ever you do DO NOT READ THE POEM RAINBOW BRIDGE. My vet has that poem in the cards they send when you lose your pet and my god does it make the toughest of men cry like a school girl when it involves their pet.
But yeah their snores or the way they saunter over and rub on you or lay with their face pressed up on your leg or place a leg up on your lap when they sit with you.
God I just made my self flood with memories of my dog rocky
Sorry. they say it gets easier with time but not really you still miss their personality’s.

sharkbait9

Laurie01 and pounceyj so sorry for you both. Our pets take a hold of our hearts and leave a deep void when they go.
What ever you do DO NOT READ THE POEM RAINBOW BRIDGE. My vet has that poem in the cards they send when you lose your pet and my god does it make the toughest of men cry like a school girl when it involves their pet.
But yeah their snores or the way they saunter over and rub on you or lay with their face pressed up on your leg or place a leg up on your lap when they sit with you.
they say it gets easier with time but not really, you still miss their personality’s and them just being around.
As they were getting ready to put my dog down i said "go easy" and he looked at me with that look when they know its time and he gave me one last lick and i lost it right in the room. God I just made my self flood with memories of my dog rocky
Sorry.

dogfaceman

I had 2 cats i still have one named bandit, hes a real character, but I had this other cat who was the runt of his litter, so he was always small and looked like a kitten for a long time, but sadly he wasn't the "brightest banana of the bunch", he would eat anything you dropped it doesnt matter what ( he ate a quarter once and had to be rushed to the vet), and we also used to have a space between our cabinet and fridge and he would always try to fit through but couldnt he would try for hours sometimes. also the funniest and cutest thing he would do was, head butt you (kinda). like if you were walking by he would run head first into your leg or foot, or if you put your head next to his he would back up and run into it. but he was a freindly cat who liked everyone / everything, even when a car came bye he would run after it. but one day he just disapeared
I honostly think he chased after a car. he was only 2

peachie98

I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing pets is SO hard! They are definitely part of the family.
I had to unexpectedly put one of my cats down last summer...she was only 2 years old. She had been a foster kitten that I bottle fed and kept. Turns out she had a hereditary problem that came on fast.
I still have 2 other girls though...one is 10 years old and I've bottle fed her from a day old. My other kitty is 6 years old and I've known since a day old but had since she was about 5 weeks old (barn kitten that's mom was killed by dogs when she was 5 weeks).
I'm glad Misty didn't suffer...it's really bad to watch them go slowly and know you can't do anything about it besides support them and know when it is "time" (such as my cat I had growing up...got kidney failure and passed at 17 years).

laurie01

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
http:///forum/post/2754754
they say it gets easier with time but not really, you still miss their personality’s and them just being around.
As they were getting ready to put my dog down i said "go easy" and he looked at me with that look when they know its time and he gave me one last lick and i lost it right in the room. God I just made my self flood with memories of my dog rocky
Sorry.
Thank you all for all of your thoughts. I'm also sorry to hear about all of your losses. Our pets do become such a part of our lives and are greatly missed when they leave us. Sharkbait - I know exactly what you mean by this poem. After my other cat, Cleo, had to be put to sleep at only 7 1/2 yrs old, my vet unexpectedly sent me a copy of that poem along with a plaster cast he made from Cleo's paw print with her name inscribed.

We always have our memories with our pets, so that they are always a part of our lives. Always remember the funny things they do to amuse us.
Short story about Misty - One night when she was a kitten, my husband and I were watching TV in the living room and went into the kitchen to get a snack. When we turned the kitchen light on, we found Misty - STANDING on top of the refrigerator. She got this look in her eyes "Oh no, now I've been caught", frantically looked over the edge of the frig to try to get down and scramble away before she was punished. She decided the counter was too far away and just stood there with that look on her face...Sent both of us rolling on the floor with laughter. Bob rescued Misty from the top of the refrigerator and put her down. (She was never punished - we were both laughing too hard.) And Misty was never seen on top of the refrigerator again.