in over my head with new elos 215 gallon setup

saltincalif

call me an idiot. tired of the 24 gallon nano so went all out. now how the heck do i set it up. having someone to help likely but would like to have some idea of what i am doing. any good references? have sump, skimmer, computer, lighting, probes, the works and have no clue what goes where. yeah, i know what you are thinking but be nice.

cranberry

I ask because I live in Torrance.
What are the brands/model # of what you bought? Sounds like you have good toys!

saltincalif

have to get to bed but any ideas on reference sources, instructions would be helpful. appreciate it. will check in tomorrow.

saltincalif

yeah, i figured once i was in i was in. also have a rodi but that isn't elos! still need to get a chiller! planning on Tonga rock - about 200-300 lbs and 75/20 ratio of sand to crushed coral

ryancw01

Get in your phone book and find a pro, typically connected with a local fish store to come over and do everything for you. You have already paid top of the line for your tank and equipment, you might as well pay someone $75/hour to come set it up. It will probably only take them about 3 hours or so.

oceansidefish

Originally Posted by saltincalif
http:///forum/post/3024731
yeah, i figured once i was in i was in. also have a rodi but that isn't elos! still need to get a chiller! planning on Tonga rock - about 200-300 lbs and 75/20 ratio of sand to crushed coral
Skip the crushed coral all together...Just get dry aragonite sand and 2 bags of live to seed it. There are a couple good LFS out there that can help... Or maybe cranberry will volunteer herself

efrank

Sounds like a great problem. First things first. Find out where you want to put it and make sure if it is not on a concreate sub floor that the sub floor will be able to hold it. (i.e. may not be able to put it on the 2nd floor due to total weight of the set up) Then make sure the tank is level!!
Next fill it with salt water and hook up your heater and a power head. After that take it one step at a time and you will be fine.
I agree not to use crushed coral, but instead the sand indicated above.

detane

My LFS did my Tank install. He does a lot of Celeberty's tanks in my area.
Give him a call.
OCEAN PET (MANNY)
818 700 4971

salt210

I want to see some pics of this once you get it. I want to see what it looks like with black silicon

saltincalif

hey, this is my first time on this kind of chat room and I really appreciate all the feedback. By the way, yes, I did reinforce the beams on the second floor - what a pain. Will do as suggested re the sand.
Yes, I had to order it and it's been a pain getting it all in from Italy. The best guy to go to for these tanks is Medusa L.A. at 310-231-9191 and ask for Tucker and tell him it is about Elos. I think he is the exclusive dealer out here.
Hoping to get rest of equipment in by next week and then will start setup. Any thoughts on if it is a problem running RO water through 60 feet of copper tube before it hits the tank??

oceansidefish

http:///forum/post/3025940
hey, this is my first time on this kind of chat room and I really appreciate all the feedback. By the way, yes, I did reinforce the beams on the second floor - what a pain. Will do as suggested re the sand.
Yes, I had to order it and it's been a pain getting it all in from Italy. The best guy to go to for these tanks is Medusa L.A. at 310-231-9191 and ask for Tucker and tell him it is about Elos. I think he is the exclusive dealer out here.
Hoping to get rest of equipment in by next week and then will start setup. Any thoughts on if it is a problem running RO water through 60 feet of copper tube before it hits the tank??
I would NOT run it through a copper line...Copper can come out of the pipe and it is not a good thing to have in a reef. Get yourself some PEX tubing or simply run it through PVC... Personally I am going to run the flexible hose line though a PVC pipe under the house that will come up through the floor and have a little spigot in a gang box in the wall that I can cover up with a switchplate cover.

saltincalif

that makes sense. i understand that ro water is so pure that it will leach the copper out of the pipe. i guess i can run a flexible line. darn. i paid bucks to put in that copper line!

saltincalif

Originally Posted by Efrank
http:///forum/post/3024942
Sounds like a great problem. First things first. Find out where you want to put it and make sure if it is not on a concreate sub floor that the sub floor will be able to hold it. (i.e. may not be able to put it on the 2nd floor due to total weight of the set up) Then make sure the tank is level!!
Next fill it with salt water and hook up your heater and a power head. After that take it one step at a time and you will be fine.
I agree not to use crushed coral, but instead the sand indicated above.

I am still waiting on floor boards to be installed so i can push tank into final position. skimmer, calcium reactor (need to find place for CO2 tank), sump, pumps here but waiting for biotopus computer and lighting. need help on connecting sump, reactor and skimmer!

oceansidefish

http:///forum/post/3026195
that makes sense. i understand that ro water is so pure that it will leach the copper out of the pipe. i guess i can run a flexible line. darn. i paid bucks to put in that copper line!
The issue is not it running in the line, it's sitting in the line....Copper is actually REALLY Easy to do yourself as I found out. My husband and I are copper re-piping our own house and saving about a zillion dollars. I am running an RO line straight to the tank and am going to be using the small sprinkler tubing....It's about the same size as the RO lines from the unit itself