In preparation--a few questions

So my plan is to turn my 6 month old, 45G FOWLR into a reef tank. I still need to upgrade my lighting. So far I have changed from crushed coral to sand. I added a second powerhead and I added more rock (already had some live rock). My CUC consists of 4 turbo snails, and about 5 hermit crabs. Here are my questions.
1. The rock I added is base rock. How long will it take to turn into live rock?
2. I just have basic lighting, what type of lighting should I get?
3. What other CUC should I add that would be reef safe?
4. What is the easiest coral to add first? And when should I start adding it?
5. Any other pointers or advice would be VERY much appreciated.
I'M SO EXCITED!!!

pbnj

1. Hard to answer, but as long as you already have established LR, you'll be fine.
2. MHs will allow you to keep anything, but a good T5 fixture with individual reflectors will work too.
3. Some more/different snails and maybe some emerald crabs.
4. Mushrooms are easiest. Frogspawn/torch/hammer corals will do well too. You're tank is already established, so you can add them right away.
5. You need to raise your SG to 1.025-1.026 and get your calcium/alkalinity to the proper levels.
Good luck....welcome to the world of reefkeeping!

coastie5685

Originally Posted by pbnj
http:///forum/post/2988956
1. Hard to answer, but as long as you already have established LR, you'll be fine.
2. MHs will allow you to keep anything, but a good T5 fixture with individual reflectors will work too.
3. Some more/different snails and maybe some emerald crabs.
4. Mushrooms are easiest. Frogspawn/torch/hammer corals will do well too. You're tank is already established, so you can add them right away.
5. You need to raise your SG to 1.025-1.026 and get your calcium/alkalinity to the proper levels.
Good luck....welcome to the world of reefkeeping!
+1 it will take a while for your base rock to become live...
as for cuc... emerald crabs are reef safe, camel-peppermint shrimp, astrea snails, sandsifting star...
beginner corals

[hr]
frogspawn-torch-mushrooms-zoanthids-ricordeas-xenia-candy cane( slighty beginner ) , toadstool leather
like stated its already established.... so as long as your params are all at zero than you should be fine adding right away... get your salinity and calcium levels right.

pbnj

BTW, I never realized pretty women were into reefkeeping. I thought all reefkeepers were geeks like me!