In Sump Protein Skimmer Suggestions

larry06

Hello All,
I have my newly converted FOWLR tank set up. I'm running an Eshopp WD-75CS wet/dry filter, and now I want to add an in sump protein skimmer. Can anyone recommend me a protein skimmer that will fit inside my wet/dry filter please. I am fairly new to wet/drys so I need a little guidance. I have a good 6" in diameter to work with due to my mag drive 500 pump. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Also here is a picture of my tank, I still have a few cosmetic things to take care of.

sweatervest13

Reef Octopus is a good brand, but IDK if they have one that fits the footprint you have in your sump...

Post a pic of the sump tank if you have one. They make a bunch of sizes so maybe one will fit.

2quills

You may have some performance issues if you're going to try and run a skimmer in the return chamber due to the fluctuating water level.
But yes, if you have a pic of what youre working with that might help in the suggestion department.

silverado61

The measurements of the sump might help them also. Just so they have and idea how much room you have to work with.

larry06

Sorry about that I forgot to give the measurement:

Full Wet/Dry Measurements
H18xW10xL16

Return Side Measurements (where I plan to put the skimmer)
Height: 20"
Length: 9"
Width: 9"

I will have to put the skimmer on the return section I have no other option since the bio balls are on the other side of the wet/dry.

Ignore the white stuff at the bottom of my sump that's residue from the extra live sand I added.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry06 http:///t/397283/in-sump-protein-skimmer-suggestions#post_3540828
Sorry about that I forgot to give the measurement:

Full Wet/Dry Measurements
H18xW10xL16

Return Side Measurements (where I plan to put the skimmer)
Height: 20"
Length: 9"
Width: 9"

I will have to put the skimmer on the return section I have no other option since the bio balls are on the other side of the wet/dry.

Ignore the white stuff at the bottom of my sump that's residue from the extra live sand I added.

You could remove the bioballs. lots of folks have converted a wet/dry tank into a two chamber sump tank.

I did some looking at BRS and the RO Classic 150 space saver protein skimmer has a foot print of a little more than 9"

Here are the specs:
Skimmer Specifications:
  • Foot Print: 7.3” x 9.45”
  • Total Height: 20.8”
  • Output Size: 1.25”
  • Recommended sump water depth: 7.5" - 8"
    BUT the Reef Octopus Classic 110 Space Saver Protein Skimmer might work (but what do you do with your return pump????)

Specs:
    Skimmer Specifications:

• Foot Print: 6.1” x 7.87”
    Total Height: 19”
    Output Size: 1.25”
    Recommended sump water depth: 7" - 8"

IF it were me... I would probably remove the bioballs and turn that chamber into the new skimmer chamber. You could rig something like a filter box to have the DT drain into both sections.

Pics of a filter box splitting the drain into a fuge and skimmer section of a sump.

HTH's

SV

geridoc

AquaMedic makes a skimmer that can be hung on the outside of the sump, or inside as a freestanding unit.