In-tank leds?

d-man

I've read that a lot of light loss is created by the surface of the water, so I was thinking that it might be beneficial to place some leds in the tank. I was thinking heat transfer would be the main problem. Maybe use them as spot lights for coral with extra lighting needs?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man http:///forum/thread/381982/in-tank-leds#post_3330827
I've read that a lot of light loss is created by the surface of the water, so I was thinking that it might be beneficial to place some leds in the tank. I was thinking heat transfer would be the main problem. Maybe use them as spot lights for coral with extra lighting needs?

The extra light wouldn't last long...plastic is a coralline magnet. In a very short time the light would be so overgrown you won't get any benifit from it.

nikesb

yes surface water movement decreases PAR, but with t5's, LEDs, and MH, thats not a problem at all.

pauloesco

where did you read this?
water movement as in glimmer lkines both increase and decrease avail light. by alternatively diffusing and magnifying light. but anyone whos measured par for aquariums does it in a tank. you dont need submersed lighting which would add to any heat issues... water absorbs heat at multiples of air.

d-man

I'm not so worried about the heat at long as I did not put to many lights in, I think it would just keep my heater from turning on (I'd probably only worry about it in July and August, but I could by way off on that) I'm not opposed to cleaning the light from time to time, and wonder if the coralline would grow on the hot led. I know water creates a different type of light angle, but I was under the impression that the surface reduced the light significantly and it would make since to me with how much reflection power water has. I guess I'm looking for specific numbers on how much light is lost when passing through the surface of water.

wangotango

Plus those types of in-tank LED units won't nearly provide the light needed to sustain coral, unless you completely surround them and they're really close.

d-man

I think I've seen a housing for a cree led that let you put it in the water. Heat would defiantly be the main worry that I can see. Anyone know of a sight that provides numbers on how much light is defused (or what ever the proper terminology is for it) when passing through the surface of water?

acrylic51

I have seen underwater LEDS, but I think they were more for accent more freshwater tanks though....Don't think they were Cree's though.