In The Immortal Words of Eddie Murphy...

txstyle

"I am Very Happy To Be Here!"
That's from Coming To America for the youngons.

So after many years of wanting and contemplating... I finally have my very first Salt Water Aquarium! And I am quite excited to say the least in begining this incredible hobby.
Here's my stats:
90 Gallon 'All-Glass' tank
Pro Clear filtration System
Euro Reef protein skimmer
@ 50 lbs of Live Rock
60 lbs of Live Sand
and a few plants for some nice visual.
Animals I plan to bring:
Zebra Eeel
Snowflake Eeel
Emperor Snapper
Lionfish
Goldstripe/Maroon Clownfish
Sailfin Tang
So I'm going thru my week of acclimation and water/tank adjustment, and it's already a thing of beauty just looking at my tank.
I'd like to get some feedback on my animal selections and reccomendations for a crab or two to aid in cleaning?
~ Marcus

bob skippy

I have an Emperor Snapper in my tank and he is cool but very aggressive. Just make sure everything else in the tank is bigger than him or they will get picked on/killed. And remember he will get pretty big. Best of luck..sounds like it will be a cool tank.

Y

yeffre kix

I would go with a little more live rock. A good rule of thumb is 1 lb per gallon.
How big does the snapper get? You need to research the adult size of a fish. That is for swimming room and consideration of the waste it will produce.
The eels can be aggressive and limit your livestock choices. If he's not a large specimen the maroon clown could be a snack for either or for the lion fish for that matter.
What kind of "plants" are you planning on adding.
With a saltwater tank live sand and rock will give the most natural look in a fish only system. In the future, a reef system with corals can be really stunning.
Check out the photo section for some great examples.

txstyle

Thanks for the quick feedback!
I am NOT adding all these fish at once. The people who I did business with suggested adding certain species at a time and specific sizes. Based on research my selections should do quite well as far as size and aggression. I didn't want too much rock (which they offered) cause I want more room for the fish to swim and better visualization.

txstyle

However... I may add some other type of decoration in the future other than rock in the corners. ;)

bob skippy

I will post some pics of my Snapper as soon as I can find my camera. I added mine after everything else I have. Everyone gets along fine. Dinner time gets crazy cause my snapper is a hog. He will eat everything he can beat the other fish to. Ive seen him take food out of my sharks mouth!

reefboy12

dont want to take control of this thread but how long do yout hink you could keep an emperor in a 55? I dont plan on keeping one for life but maybe 6 months? nice looking tank though and welcome..
-KEVIN

bob skippy

I guess it would depend on how big it is when you get it and how many other fish you put in with it. Mine was small when I got it and it doesnt seem to be growing very quickly.

reefboy12

well the one in my LFS is about 3 in. and will be the only thing in the tank except a snowflake eel 2 damsels (most likely will be eaten with growth of one of my predators) and maybe a smaller violatins lion for a while till he too gets to big. (the tank is a FOWLR and an aggressive one)
thanks,
-Kevin

gmidd

Nice set up
I would get more LR for the eels and set you aquascaping for more nooks and cranies for them to settle into. Also can't tell by the pic but make sure your Rock is sitting on a solid base.

txstyle

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
And it would appear that I do indeed need more LR. I've read how not only the eels like it, the fish like to "get away from it all" from time to time.
I'm considering epoxying the rocks you see because I really like the bridge/cavern look.
Here's a nice write up I found today which is very encouraging considering I made my selections of fish a while back.
Oh here's some info on the particular clown, Snapper and Lion I'm getting:

Maximum Length: 5.5 in.
(that's not a tiny fish)
Care Level: Easy
Family: Pomacentridae
Reef Compatibility: Excellent
Minimum Aquarium Size: 30 gal.
The Gold Maroon Clownfish does not require a host anemone for survival; however it is a real treat for any hobbyist to observe the symbiotic relationship between the clownfish and its host anemone.
And here's a site with great info and a detailed list of fish that can be housed together. All of which I've selected are listed except the Emperor Snapper andI may make asubstition of Angel and Trigger fish which are very mobile and fun to watch:
http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Brow...Fish+Only+Tank
Red Emperor Snapper -

Red Emperor Snapper, Lutjanus sebae, is a beautiful fish that adapts well to the home aquarium, provided it is given ample space to grow (150-200 gallon minimum.) Its deep red and bright white bands do seem to give it a royal appearance, helping it live up to its Emperor namesake. Multiple juvenile Red Emperors can be placed in the same aquarium (best done simultaneously), but adults are best kept singly. As with other Snappers, any shrimp, snails, or worms; any crustaceans, being part of its natural diet, will likely be eaten.
Now keep in mind that diet has ALOT to do with size and growth rate! So obviously if any of mine outgrow my tank or it's peers, then he'll have to go find Nemo.

Dwarf Lionfish -

Dwarf Zebra Lionfish (Quoy & Gaimard, 1825)
Scientific Name Dendrochirus zebra
Diet Carnivore; shrimp, meaty foods, feeder fish
Alt Common Name Dwarf Lionfish, Zebra Lionfish, Turkeyfish, Kirinmino (Jap. 'coat of Kirin')
Family Ephippidae
Origin Indian and Pacific Oceans
Aquarist Level Beginner/Intermediate
Reef Safe No
Coloration White and brown stripes
Disposition Peaceful
Hardiness Hardy
Compatibility Peaceful with other fish of its own and other families. Incompatible with fish small enough to fit in its mouth.
Mature Size 7 inches
Sexual Dimorphism
Venomous Yes - Spines

dragonzim

You are definitely going to need to add more live rock. It does a lot more than just add to the looks of your tank. You should read up a bit more on its benefits before you put any livestock in there.
Also, the snapper and sailfin tang will get way too big for a 90 gallon. The info you posted about the snapper says it needs a minimum of 150 gallons. That is usually because fish needs a long amount of swimming room, like from a 6' long tank. The tang will need at least that as well. Triggers and lions are usualy not a good idea to put together either as the triggers can nip at the fins of a lion. If you have to get a trigger, go with one of the lesser aggressive ones like a blue throat.

lion_crazz

Marcus, the tang and snapper definitely cannot go in that tank. The snapper, because he grows 36 inches, needs a gigantic tank. The sailfin tang will need a lot more swimming room, so I would not include him either.
How is the cycle coming along? What are your water levels in this tank?

bbb

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Now keep in mind that diet has ALOT to do with size and growth rate! So obviously if any of mine outgrow my tank or it's peers, then he'll have to go find Nemo

If you do get one, I hope you don't plan on taking it to the ocean when it out grows your tank. That's not a good idea. It can really mess up the place where you take it.

txstyle

I'm nowhere near the ocean... Back to a shop most likely.
Okay so I'm mos def getting more LR!
So I understand that lihgt is not a friend due to the algae growth it makes?
Crabs appear not to be ideal for my setup so any particular snails or the such?
I read that I should buy live rock with more red/purple?