In-Wall tank?

I'm thinking of putting a 120 gallon, 48x24x24 in a wall in my house. The tank would be visible from the living room. It's kind of a center area of the house. I think it would look really nice.
The conern I have is it would be in the closet of one of the bedrooms. I would essentially be getting rid of a closet.
Good idea or bad idea?
How would it affect the appraised value of the house?
I have a 4 bedroom house.
If the buyers liked it could raise the value of the house.
If they don't like it, I'd have to fill in the tank hole in the wall.
I also have idea of building a tub for the whole area of the closet for everything to go in, in case of a leak.
I would build the tub with plywood and fiberglass.
I think I would use one thirty gallon for the sump and one thirty gallon for the refugium.
I'd really appreciate comments from anyone that has had experience with something similar or just a dreamer/browser.
Thanks,
Sugarman

bigmac

I just added an in-wall 120 gal tank to my family foom...all the equipment is in a closet under the staircase leading to the third floor. Regarding the tank, Ventilation is the only thing you need to think about. From what I've heard, adding a tank is not a good idea if you plan to sale your house..

grndhog

I did about the same thing to my office. One side is in the hall way and the other side is in the office (see through). Heres a couple pics.

johnnysalt

have some questions on your in-wall:
how bout when the sand on the hallway side gets nasty against the glass....how do you clean it from the other side? (I'm thinking of leaving the hole tall enough to show only about a half inch of sand.)
canopy: did you have to cut the backside of the canopy off so the tank would sit flush against the hallway wall?
wherehow does your return come in?
any regrets?? what would you do different if you could?
thanks,
John

grndhog

John,
The first question- I use one half of a fishing pole to turn snails over ect. The tank is 43 inches off the ground and the tank is 24 inches deep, so its higher than normal. I use a step ladder for most of my maintenance
Everything is DIY execpt for the tank so as far as the canopy goes, I just built it 4 inches shorter than the top of the tank.
The return comes in from on top of the weir. If you look at the pic of the office side, its on the left hand side.
The only thing that I would do different would be to set the stand where it needs to go and then tile the floor. What I did was I set the stand in the wall w/ the carpet ripped out from the closet. Now Ive got the tile ready to be layed and I have to go around everything w/ out being able to move anything. Did that make sense?
Anyways, I've done a lot of projects in my life but this was the most satifying for sure. I took my time, started 24 July 03 and put my first peice of LR in on 2 Dec 03.
Go for it!

bigmac

Grndhog, so the wider molding on top is kind of a fake canopy? I would guess its on hinges and can be flipped up to get to the front...Hmmm, might be time for me to get out the sawzaw
BTE, here's mine

grndhog

Bigmac,
I dont think I'm following your question. The two pics I posted are of the two opposite sides of the tank, the first is of the hallway side and the second is of the office side. I didnt have the luxury of having a dedicated backside for equipment like you have. I had to make it like a regular setup w/ a stand and canopy. I do all my maintenance from the office side.
Great looking setup!

bigmac

So the "office side" isn't flush with the wall? It looks like it in the picture....
Same to you...nice setup