In what order-skimmer refuge return pump

newfishliny

1. Im building a sump 30 gal long( fish tank)12x16x36
2.glass is cut for baffles
3. WHAT GOES IN THE FIRST COMPARTMENT
( I would like to make a smaller compartment just for the water
comming down from the main tank, maybe put filter media.
4. should the protein skimmer be in its own compartment
( I have a aqua c120 and with pump and gate valve in takes some space)
5.BAFFLES SHOULD THEY START BOTTOM UP OR FROM TOP DOWN.
6. ANY HELP AND PICS WOULD HELP
THANKS
NEW FISH

jdm_ae86

youre going for just a sump, no refugium?
the first compartment should be your skimmer/input area from your ov. boxes..your tank should look like the one below, except the left compartment should be bigger to fit your skimmer in there..btw, the tank shown is a sump/refugium(the right compartment is the refugium, it spills over to the middle compartment, which is the return area..
and for your baffles, it can be either over under over or under over under, doesnt really matter..

K

kpatrick

JDM,
Why dont you have a second baffle (high) between your fuge and the center chamber? would it help with micro bubbles?
Sorry for the hijack!!

jdm_ae86

I did that because I knew that I would be keeping the water level up(in the middle compartment) by a doser, and i dont have too much flow going through it so the spill isnt great..

newfishliny

1st thanks for the pic , my tank is a 30 long. I started with under than over, so really that way its only to baffles(right) because the next section is the center section.My first section is about 8 inches wide Im going to put a filter sock in that one , then comes the under then over(ok).
then I thought was going to have a seperate section for the protein skimmer, because I want the water always to have the same level(is that right) so what do I do for it to spill in another compartment , lets say a small fuge area and then from that , my compartment for return pump. I really want a good amount of water for the return pump. My understanding it that everything is going to stay the same level except for the return pump area...................
can you handle this , any help
new fish

jdm_ae86

so you actually have 4 compartments then? show me a pic and ill be able to help you better..
My understanding it that everything is going to stay the same level except for the return pump area
yea thats true.