Incoming Livestock

tarhull87

Hey all,
I have had my 180 up and ready and cycled for about a month now and this saturday I am adding a california ray and a bamboo shark egg? Anything I should know to be ready for them?
I am planning on doing bag float acclimation for both.
When can I expect the ray to start eating and what kinds of things should I feed it to start out with? Would raw shrimp soaked in garlic on a stick be a good start?

spongebod

If ur asking this a week before ur getting a shark i dont think ur ready and the shark will out grow the tank.:notsure:

tarhull87

Wasn't really looking for opinions on my experience and preparedness for taking care of the species...
But thanks

tarhull87

I'm following the guidelines of the book, "Aquarium - Sharks and Rays" by Scott Michael... and so far.. I'm right on track.

boalgf

the egg can take up to 4 months to hatch. keep the sandbed open with few obstacles in the way. for a bamboo shark, 180 will work (though it will be cramped) but with a ray thrown in...? strong filtration is necessarry. seems to me he is just looking for some last minute tips and experienced information which is very responsible. I do agree that you need more acclimation than just bag float.
impale food on a long pole and place it very near the mouth to entice the ray to eat. Once they get the idea they readily eat anything meaty like squid, shrimp, and cut up fish. i don't know about the garlic though.
i doubt you'll ever get close enough to hear the ray in your aquarium, but the sound a ray makes when it sucks up food is really adorable.
good luck with the shark and ray.

tarhull87

Thank You boalgf,
That is exactly what I was looking for... Just some last minute tips. With the rocks, should I try to build structures that contain caves for hiding?
By bag float acclimation, I mean, float it for 15min, then add a cup of water each 15min for the next hour... I usually do the bucket, which I will probably do for the egg... However, with the stingray, I was worried about the process of getting the stingray from the bucket to the tank, because netting it might hook the stinger?
Any thoughts?

lilstrup

i would not do rocks because the shark could bump into them and get cuts and that they will probly get infected and the ray needs alot of swimming room maby a few rocks but not stacking the shark will try to move them around lookin for food but they might fall and crush him and the shark in a 180 he will be cramped in two years

tarhull87

The hatching of the shark is the main and key part of the whole project, I am doing this as a requirement for graduation.

tarhull87

I don't see the shark outgrowing my tank, and I will be heading off to college in about 8 months, so it will eventually go to a big pond at my LFS.