Increasing lighting...what to expect

wolffam

I'm finally increasing my lighting wpg from 1.63 to 4.30 for now. What changes should I expect? I currently have nothing but live rock, a couple of fish,a few snails and a sally lightfoot. Didn;t try my hand at anything else until lighting was upgraded. I'll be upgrading more in the future to 5.92 wpg when complete.

ren

Most likely an algea bloom from the increase. Try to shorten the time they are on and slowly lengthen until they are running for a normal length of time.

keitho

i would agree that an algae bloom is a definite possibility and that the photoperiod should be reduced after the upgrade and then gradually increased. in the future when you upgrade and have corals and other photosynthetic organisms, they can be shocked by an abrupt increase in light intensity, so the same method should be applied to not only avoid unwanted algal blooms but also avoid photoshock. hope this helps :)

bentrue

algae bloom is a definate! i upgraded from 20watt NO to 110 PC and my hair algae went nuts. i am just now getting a leg up on it. :D i also had a bubble tip anemone that went through some shock by the intense light change. he went up under a rock where he stayed until i took him back to the lfs for credit.
gradually increase the time the lights are on like the other have suggested.