Increasing waterflow in a 180

briandg

Ok, I'm doing some research for the 180 gal I just purchased. The person who owns it currently has 1200 gph going through it in the sump return. I know I will need much more flow than that. I'm not ready to build a closed loop system, I will need to take some time on this, it will have to be a hang over the back system, because I don't want to drill any, and where it's at will make this difficult while hiding all the plumbing. I also don't want powerheads all over in the tank. So this is what I'm thinking of doing, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
2 Maxijet Mods @ 1500gph
1 maxijet 1200 @ 295 gph
The total GPH would be 4495 or if I'm calculating correctly 24.97 turnover. Does this sound like a good solution to anyone. By the way I was leary of modding the maxijet to 2400, that seems like a lot coming from one place.
Thanks,
Brian

royal gang

i was gunna get 3 maxi-jets but once i felt the current i settled for 2, VERY strong currents coming from the 1200, very quiet and until now no heating problems

joncat24

I have a 180...I have two maxi mods at 2400 each. a mag 18 return and a closed loop with a mag 7.
my new hydor koralia comes in tomorrow for an additional 1200 gph
right at 8700gph flow when I add the koralia...but the maxi mods are both pointed toward the surface so it rolls the water on top. the koralia will go in hte middle on the back pointed toward the surface also/// I think that will be all the flow I need...LOL

briandg

looks good, my only problem is it's sitting on a wall that someone walking in will be able to see behind it, so I don't think a closed loop will work for me, the wife would never go for it :).

joncat24

then if I were you I would either mod three maxis or order three koralias. and then let the rest come from your returns.

briandg

Would you mod 3 at 2400 or at 1500? I'm just worried about the push directly out of the mod at 2400.
By the way, I think I was reading an earlier post of yours that gave me the idea of the mods, if so then thanks.

joncat24

no problem...I would say to do two at 1500 and one at 2400. The flow stream coming outta these bad boys is about 12" wide @12" away from it. But the high flows definitly move some serious water...and there fun and easy to do....LOL