Infamous Bryopsis

Hey guys I got a slight problem. I've had an on again off again problem with algae for the past few months in my nano-reef and never really thought anything of it until I decided to do a little research into what this could be and how it is so resilient. Turns out I got a ton of Bryopsis... crap. I've heard putting the LR out of light for up to 2 weeks can kill it as well as a risky plan to get a lettuce nudibranch. I've also heard that giving extra Mg supplements can eliminate it. I just got a lawnmower blenny last week and so far he's doing work. Should I just stick with him or should I pursue extra treatment? What would be your guys' advice? My water has always been good but I'll do a complete water test tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

snakeblitz33

Testing your water for nitrate and phosphate is no good. N and P are regularly taken up by the algae, so your tests will give you a false negative.
You could try a little bit of all three methods - turn your lights on 4-6 hours a day, get your magnesium levels up to 1600, and try some herbivores. Limpets do a great job mowing through bryopsis.
Also, rinse your frozen foods, only feed as much as your fish can eat in 2 minutes. Do weekly 20% water changes if you can, while sucking out as much algae as possible. Also, look at your top off water to make sure that it is clean. Top off water should have a TDS reading of no higher than 10 (preferably 0).
Try a combination of all of that, and you'll eventually get it licked.

Thanks for the comment. About the feeding... I switched to once a day feedings instead of twice a day about 4 months ago so that has been consistent for a while. I also lowered my lighting time a while back from about 9 am - 8pm. It's been at 1pm-8pm for a while now. I guess I'll shorten it a little more. I'm also pretty good about the weekly water changes.
Anyway thanks again. I'll get started on finding that magnesium treatment and adjust my lighting timer.
I have one more question actually. Will the combination of the magnesium and less lighting per day be detrimental to my corals? I have some zoas, xenia, bubble, open brain, leather and mushrooms. Thanks again.

snakeblitz33

I'm just eating up all these thankyou's I'm getting all the time. Hah. Makes me feel like I'm actually helping people.
ANYWAYS...
BTLD knows a bit more about magnesium dosing then I do, but I can tell you now that when I asked about it, they said that it really effects inverts like snails most of all. But, when some people dose it (safely) and in small increasing amounts, there is no invert deaths at all. Also, no ill effects on corals have been reported so far.
Xenia is a pretty hardy coral,... I've OD'd my tank on iodine and iron and it still didn't kill it. Xenia is a weed, lol. A coral weed. I think zoas and palys are about as bad... all nuisance corals to me. But they are great beginner corals!

spanko

In my reading it seems the product Tech M by Kent is the mag supplement to use.
Here seems to be the formula for doing this.
"This is the method that worked for me. Of course, you follow these at your own risk, etc.
1. Get enough Tech M to do the job. Do not use mag sulfate or mag chloride to raise the mag level so you don't have to use as much Tech M. If you do this you are not adding the trace element or whatever is in the Tech M that actually kills the Bryopsis. Start from whatever your mag level is and raise it only using Tech M.
2. Get a quality test kit, like an Elos or a Salifert. Test every day when you are raising mag levels and when you are maintaining mag levels. Salifert test kits only read to 1500 ppm, so when you know your mag levels are over 1500, you add 1 ml of the #3 reagent and then draw up another 1 ml per the instructions. When you get the color change, reference the chart for the ppm, then add 1500 to this for the total ppm.
3. If you use them, I would eliminate the use of any Poly Filters or the like during the time you are raising the Mag level to 1800 with Tech M until the time your mag level drops to 1350 as described in step 6. Poly filters can remove metals, and since no one knows, you might remove the trace element that is actually killing the bryopsis if you use poly filters. Carbon is fine.
4. Raise your magnesium with Tech M by 100 ppm/day until you reach 1800. Test every day and maintain this level in your reef for two weeks straight. Do not do any water changes during this time. If you do water changes, then make sure you add enough Tech M to the tank to maintain the mag at 1800. The idea is to get enough exposure time at that level so whatever trace element is killing the Bryopsis has enough time to work.
The 1800 mag level is an indirect indicator of the concentration whatever trace element in the Tech M is killing the Bryopsis. Length of exposure at the right concentration seems to be the key to eliminating vs just suppressing the Bryopsis.
5. If you have a lot of Bryopsis in your tank, manually remove as much as possible when it starts to weaken and die. This will eliminate/minimize an ammonia spike that can result from the decaying Bryopsis.
6. After you have maintained a mag level of 1800 for two weeks, start doing your normal
water changes. Do not do them more often that usual. You will have elevated magnesium levels for a period after wards, several weeks probably. This is not an issue. Let the level come back to the normal 1350 or so thru regular water changes and use by the corals."
The only other caution I have found is that this may harm snails and shrimp so if you have some you might want to remove them.

btldreef

I have and am currently using the Tech M treatment for my 180G reef tank to tackle bryopsis. I tried the cutting back feeding, cutting back lighting, running the skimmer wetter, adding phosphate removers, adding a sea slug, adding a fox face, etc. NOTHING would get rid of it, so after much skepticism, I finally broke down and went the Tech M route. Glad I did. I introduced a really nice piece of live rock to my tank that had some great macros, but hidden under it was a lovely clump of bryopsis that I didn't notice, and it started sprouting in my tank. My MP40's made sure that it spread EVERYWHERE!
IF you have a fully stocked tank, raise the Mag levels SLOWLY and then keep them at 1600+ppm (I'm keeping mine at about 1650ppm steadily) and keep them there for two weeks. If you raise your levels slowly over a period of a week or so (depends on how low your starting number is, mine was around 1250ppm), then you're less likely to have invert loss. If you raise it quickly, the algae will die off faster, but you'll have much greater invert loss. I have only lost one Florida Fighting Conch from this procedure. My shrimps (harlequins, fire and skunk), all snails (nerites, nassarius, bumble bees, periwinkles, trochus, florida fighting conch [lost one of 3]) are fine, my clams are fine, my brittle and chocolate chip star are fine, my corals are fine, my other macro algaes that I want to keep are all fine, only the bryopsis has been effected. If you're at the end of your rope with the bryopsis battle and have exhausted all other options like I did, the Tech M treatment really does work. I'm not a fan of chemical dosing, but sometimes, you just need to do it. In a barren tank, I'd go with the shock of just raising it quickly and holding it there. As it starts to die, remove what you can manually, don't let it just float away.
Do yourself a favor: get all the needed Tech M up front, the gallon size bottles can be hard to find, and I've easily went through 2 gallons already and I'm not done treating. My total tank volume is over 200G, but still, you're going to need a lot, so make sure you have all you need from day one. You don't want to get half way through the treatment, finally getting a handle on the evil bryopsis only to have to stop treatment and it all heals and grows back.
Forgot to mention, I also have a TON of mysid shrimp in my refugium that don't seem to have been effected by the Tech M treatment either.

spanko

TommieLynn I have not done this before, have just read about it. Is this your first attack using Tech M? In my reading I have also found that the lower concentration while it does get rid of it, it may come back again. That is why the previous post I quoted said to go to 1800 as this is where it actually kills it off.
Again I have not used this method, thank the sea gods, so I would be interested in your resuts.

btldreef

I have not used it before, but my husband had on previous tanks before we were married. I plan on keeping it at 1650 for a month, rather than the two weeks recommended just to try to really get rid of it. I also added a Fox Face, who does eat it, so my thought is that once it's gone, if any comes back, he should be able to help me control it
I'm afraid of going all the way to 1800 for fear of loosing inverts

The inverts that I have are: emerald crab, some zebra hermits, pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp and a skunk cleaner shrimp. Everyone thanks for the great advice and I'll be heading down to my LFS this weekend to try and find some Tech M and getting that level between 1650-1800 in a week or so. Anyway thanks again and hopefully this problem is solved relatively quickly.

Just started the treatment with Tech M. Man you do need a lot of this stuff. Just in 3 days for my Biocube 14 I'll use up a whole bottle of that stuff if my math is correct. I'm gonna go out and get some more.

kylev

I'm on my final straw with bryopsis too and am gonna use this same method on my 280g with 100g sump. So ya I'll need a lot of tech m but i don't really see another option. I've cut my feedings way back doubled my water changes and have seen no results at all. It's getting bad enough now that I need to occasionally physically remove it from around some of the corals.

btldreef

I hear you. I'm the last person that wants to add ANY chemicals to the tank. I don't even like using two parts. I tried EVERYTHING, Tech M is all that worked. You're going to need a lot, we were dosing about 8oz (250mL) daily on our system. I slowly raised raised it up over a week, then kept it at about 1650ppm for 2 1/2 -3 weeks and now I'm about to slowly lower it back down. If I see ANY bryopsis pop back up I will start to raise it back up again.
For anyone with a larger system that's considering this:
Buy as much as you can up front. I literally cleared out 4 or 5 LFS's stock of it and still needed to order more online. Using 8oz daily for almost 3 weeks, plus what I have used to slowly raise and slower lower has added up to A LOT of Tech M. But, it was worth it.

kylev

I ordered 5gallons today online and will order more if it means getting rid of this stuff, its such a pain to see it encroaching onto corals.