info on the box fish

ophiura

Just check the species on those...many can tolerate freshwater (and are commonly sold in freshwater because people are more likely to buy them) but really do better long term in brackish water (halfway between fresh and salt). There are some species that are all freshwater (Fahaka mentioned above) but some of the most common smaller species do prefer brackish. Just some homework to do there. Can be big fin nippers though so does somewhat limit what can go with them.

snipe

The figure eight and spotted are really good comunity puffers. I had them with archer fish, plecos, cory's, some others like banjo cats upside down cats, They never bothered anything at all. and there mouths are so small you could probly even keep them with guppies! Mollies would be good cause they would breed and your son would enjoy it and mollies are def to big for them to get ahold of. As for mine I never had trouble with them on anything even giant apple snails.

cathy joe

well we are getting a 75gallon tank in about a month or two. but we will have to cycle it and everything before we can transfer stuff...not trying to be picky or anything but I don't like freshwater. plus my son won't take care of it and I'll be doing all the work with cleaning it and stuff..plus I just really don't want fresh water...lol
by the way was a cowfish and a boxfish the same thing? I can't find a cowfish any where on this sight

snipe

On the freshie puffers get something small like a 7 or 5 gallon they arent to hard to take care of feed once a day change filters once a month and make sure to fill the tank back up about once a week and that is it.

ophiura

Originally posted by Cathy Joe
well we are getting a 75gallon tank in about a month or two. but we will have to cycle it and everything before we can transfer stuff...not trying to be picky or anything but I don't like freshwater. plus my son won't take care of it and I'll be doing all the work with cleaning it and stuff..plus I just really don't want fresh water...lol
by the way was a cowfish and a boxfish the same thing? I can't find a cowfish any where on this sight

OK, that's it on the freshwater puffers!
Cowfish and boxfish are close relatives, but not the same thing. Cowfish have two "horns" above the eyes and boxfish do not. However, both are similar in their needs. Neither are strong swimmers and I believe both are toxic.

snipe

Originally posted by ophiura
OK, that's it on the freshwater puffers!

Alittle snappy there on someone trying to help someone els out arent we? I seen the reply to i dont want them and i was just telling him they werent as hard as he thinks to take care of
There is no need to get all mad over it!

ophiura

Huh? I wasn't mad at all, just the decision was made, so, no more freshwater puffers I guess. Just a "that settles it." Jeez. Remember that a whole lot of emotion and content of the spoken word is lost in the written. Best not to jump to conclusions. It is not like, when you started on freshwater puffers, I was like "this is a saltwater board if they wanted freshwater puffers they wouldn't be here and the are really crappy fish too."
In case you hadn't noticed, a lot of us are trying to help people out. I can find better ways to spend time if I just enjoyed being unhelpful. :(

snipe

Im sorry I jumped to conclusions I guess it was the way it sounded in my head with the exclamation point and all. And freswhater puffers arent crappy they are very pretty my local shop sells them pretty small if I drive alittle wais I can get them about half grown and the bigger they are the more a puffer they look like and under the right lights they are really pretty.

cathy joe

ok...sorry to start an arguement...lol...by the way I'm a girl. and I didn't know that the puffer's were toxic. Will it hurt my son if he accidentally touches it? Sometime's I let him feed the brittle starfish krill and he stick's his hand in the tank. He know's to watch out for the anemone's but you don't have to worry about them unless you get to close. So would it be dangerous to my son or the corals to get a puffer or both maybe? I mean he doesn't really have to feed the starfish one of us can do that, but I don't think the puffer will be worth it if their's a chance it can kill my corals. My lfs told me that the boxfish had a very little mouth so that it probally wouldn't hurt my corals. I'll probally wait untill we get the 75 gallon up and going before I buy one of either though. I'd hate to buy it and it be stressed from not having room to swim. Anyway any answers on that would be appreciated. Thanks

snipe

I was in the middle of reply when my "&^$%-^$#" dial up crapped out on me and then I had to run to the store.
Bolth of the boxfish I looked up and on the site I found said they need 125 gallons min. And when stressed can release toxins and kill all the other fish in the tank.
As for puffers
1. This one needs 70 gallons
Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons
Care Level: Difficult
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 10"
Color Form: Black, Tan, Yellow
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: No
Diet: Carnivore
All of these need 50 gallons
2.Blue Dot Puffer
3.Honeycomb Puffer
4.Saddle Puffer
5.Saddle Valentini Puffer
Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 5"
Color Form: Blue, Deep Blue
Diet: Omnivore
This one needs 30 gallons
6.Saddle Valentini Puffer
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 4"
Color Form: Black, Blue, Brown, Orange, Yellow
Diet: Omnivore
There are other puffers but they need 90 gallons or more. As you can see all of these are not reef safe sorry but I am sure someone may come up with one you can put in there.

cathy joe

well wouldn't you know the lfs would tell me it's ok to have knowing it's not!!..lol...it wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't told my son that also. Well we'll just look at other kind's of fish and talk him into wanting something else. Thanks for all the advice it really helped! and I would've been really mad if it ate all my corals or killed my other fish. So thanks

snipe

no problem I would have been mad to. It is one thing on trying to sell something but selling something and you know it wont work or it will kill other inhabitants is just wrong! :mad: