info on ULTRAVIOLET STERILIZERS

deer99

Hi
Just like to know if anyone can tell me what is a good ULTRAVIOLET STERILIZERS. and whats the best place to put it in the tank or the sump.
Thanks

mpls man

I have a TURBO TWIST UV STERILIZER in my 75, not sure if it makes any difference where it's placed, i have mine in the right top corner. just make sure it has low flow through it, i only run mine 4 hours a day on a timer. others run them longer, tangs are doing great, no ick problems.:jumping: :jumping:

deer99

thanks for the info
I have a 120g. i was looking at the
TURBO TWIST UV STERILIZER. i was looking at the 9 watt its for 125g or the 18w 250g. sorry not shore on the uv set up. do you get a pump or do i have to bye one.

squidd

They do not come with a pump...
You have to get a seperate pump or divert/control some flow from a sump return pump...

randystacy

A few months ago I bought a JEBO UV sterilizer on ----. It was cheap – I was absolutely amazed at its performance though. I would not rely on JEBO’s gph rate as advertised. I’d either buy bigger or slow down the flow. Besides that it’s tip top.

deer99

thanks all
i am still looking don't know if i wont to buy a pump or just plum it in. TURBO TWIST looks the one i may go with.

mpls man

as far as running the sterilizer with a pump i have a mag 3 running about 4 ft and i had to valve it down to a slower flow, i'm sure you can also plumb it in off your return pump and put a ball valve in the line to slow down the flow.

tony detroit

I've read 2 cases of Turbo Twists springing leaks and catching on fire. I strongly recommend you do not buy one.
For the reason that I've seen many UV makers come and go in the last 5 years, I bought a Aqua UV unit, they've been around for 20+ years, no worries about them going bad, they make commercial units, etc.
IMO I wouldn't waste my money on any of the cheaper, ---- models. All UV's are not created equal. You get what you pay for.

deer99

Hi
Do you know how long turbo twist been in has been a around
how long ago did this happen. just trying to find all info on diffrent ones.
can you tell me how to get rid of the brown algae on my glass and on the sand. any help.

tony detroit

Turbo Twist is about roughly 3 years or so old. It is a line that is marketed under Coralife, but I doubt they directly manufacture them.
You can get rid of brown algae several ways. The most efficient way is to clean up your water.
Whether through more skimming, more carbon, more waterchanges, rinsing fish food, using RO water instead of tap, changing filterpads less often, not overstocking, etc. Increased water flow can work wonders in helping already good filtration.
Algae grows because you give it something to "feed" off of.
If your water isn't clean, you'll grow nice green algae and have a very undesireable tank. Clean your water up and you'll make it much more enjoyable.
-tony

deer99

Thanks Tony
I just did a 15g water change with ro/di water. I am still looking at UV unit Aqua looks like a nice unit. thanks for the info on Turbo Twist .