Info or ID needed

dobber1111

This may be difficult as alot of you are gonna ask for a pic. I cannot get one. I have been trying for a couple months to get one. This is some type of crab that lives in the crevices of a really holey rock. The only part I ever see of him is his tiny, tiny claws.
I have literally read every post in the Invert section, looking for info or a pic of this crab and cannot find one. But I have learned black claws are bad. The thing is this crab is soooo tiny. I cannot even imagine how I would even coax him out of his rock.
So I know it is nearly impossible for you guys to ID this crab for me. So my question is where can I find info on the web about tiny, obscure, um... rock dwelling crabs? I may have to ID this guy on my own.
Actually I have a few pics, but they are a joke because you can't see anything. I tried to take a few the other day of his "arm".
It was ridiculous. "I" couldn't even find the dumb thing in the pic.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

bdhb12

You may try putting the pics on photobucket and linking then maybe someone can see it? Never hurts to try right?

spanko

Don't know about black claws but I have a couple that live in a Porites rock. Here is a picture of one of them. They never come out and are always waving their stuff around trying to catch tidbits if the water.

dobber1111

I guess I could try to post, Bdhb. I'll try to get another pic tonight. If I do ever see him, it's only at night. It's just that I've seen some people post pictures better than the ones I've taken and they've been told the pic isn't clear enough.
Spanko, my crab has black claws. His arm is skinny and he appears to have a spotted look. Black/brown/dark and white. I could have swore in my search that it was you who said black pointy claws mean carnivorous.
Was I wrong?

snakeblitz33

Could be a barnacle?

Does it look like it is filter feeding and does it look like it has a hole that it ducks in?

saltn00b

if you know it is a crab, it may be virtually impossible ID. even with a good pic. there are thousands of species of crabs and many not even categorized. plus , they tend to look alot alike most of the time.
you could try FW dip the rock.

dobber1111

Snake, I'm pretty sure it's a crab. We've spent some nights with our nose pressed against the glass and watched him move his claw ever so slowly in and out of the crevices, picking at junk. I've never seen his full self out in plain sight. It was sheer coincidence that I discovered him. Just a quick movement and I was like, "What was that?!" The fact that he never comes out fully makes me not worry so much about him taking out one of my fish or corals, plus I'd bet he's 3/4 inch, if that! But I don't know. 'Swhy I'm asking.
I'm a little bummed I may not be able to ID him.