"Inherited" a 6 gallon tank! Need some help!

xokarmaxo

Hi all!

I work in a Dr.'s office and we have a 225 gallon saltwater aquarium in our lobby... absolutely gorgeous!
One of my co-workers, who is no longer with us, left me her 6 gallon desktop since I took a great interest in it after she got it. I've had it now for a little over a month. When I got it, it had 12 lbs of live rock, live sand, a clown fish, 2 fire shrimp, a hermit crab and a margarita snail. Everything in the tank gets along perfectly.
I know that with the tank being so small (it is actually an Eclipse System 6) there is very little that I can do/add to it. The only thing that I have done with it is changed the aquascaping a bit. I am still extremely new to this hobby and have been a lurker on this message board, learning a plethora of helpful things... you all are so extremely helpful to each other!
My question is this... I have seen some other nano tanks and have fallen in love with the ones that have the corals in them. Right now, I don't have any special lighting, other than the one that came with it. I take that back... this week, our LFS ordered a light for me, and forgive me for not knowing what "kind" it is... I just know that it has a blue/white bulb that is supposed to make everything in my tank "look" better/clearer than the stock lighting that is in there now? Anyway, I was wondering if there was ANYTHING coral-wise that might work out in my tank? I like anything with "movement" and anything with pretty colors. :)
Here is a pic of my tank now... pretty plain looking. Any suggestions/tips will be much appreciated!

demartini

are you changing the fixture or just the bulb? You will probably need to add another power head because the flow in the eclipse systems is pretty weak.
Welcome to the boards!!! :)

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by DeMartini
are you changing the fixture or just the bulb? You will probably need to add another power head because the flow in the eclipse systems is pretty weak.
Just changing the bulb, is what I understand.
Which power head do you recommend for this tank?
BTW... I've seen your tank pictures and it is truly to be envied! I totally trust your judgement and advice!

I would LOVE to be able to have some of the pretty corals that I've seen in your tank. Any suggestions on what I might be able to support?

Thanks so much!

demartini

Thanks! Unfortunately your not going to be able to keep much without changing the actual light fixture. The light that it comes with isn't strong enough to keep corals. If you get rid of the hood you can try to add the 12 inch 1x18 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Satellite Fixture. If you get that you should be able to get low light corals. To get more flow, adding a Aquarium Systems Mini-Jet 404 should be enough.

xokarmaxo

Thanks soooo much for your help!!

I am definately going to look into both! Sending my LFS an e-mail right now to ask about this.

Now, if I get rid of the hood and get that light, would I need to get anything else to replace what was in the hood? I think it has the biowheel and some sort of filter.... would I need to substitute something for that?
Sorry for all of the questions!

demartini

The filter that it came with isn't that good anyways. I would just get hang on back filter, one that is rated higher than the size of your tank.

nygel

this sorta fits with the thread, i'm looking at a 6 gallon, and i have a spare 55 gallon rated HOB filter.... overkill maybe?

xokarmaxo

DeMartini, thank you sooo much for all your help! Gonna see what I can do with what I've got, slowly adding/changing/upgrading.

otter

Howdy, I am also new to saltwater nano tanks. I have the walmart version of the Eclipse 6 gallon. I just put my LR and LS in on Monday. Coral sounds really cool, but I will wait until I get a little more experience under my belt. Is there a need for a skimmer with such a small tank? Good luck with the coral.

guinness

i have an eclipse six sitting around, so i am going to give a nano a try. i was wondering what light you got?

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by **guinness**
i have an eclipse six sitting around, so i am going to give a nano a try. i was wondering what light you got?
Well, I decided to get an Oceanic Biocube 14, and it comes with reef ready lighting from what I understand from my LFS, so I am upgrading to that tomorrow!

Wish me luck!

yerboy

Originally Posted by **guinness**
I run a JBJ K2 viper 70w MH over my 5.5 gallon .

otter

yerboy said:
Are you running your tank without a hood? If so, do you have any more problems than others that run a tank with a hood
?

yerboy

otter said:
Originally Posted by yerboy
Are you running your tank without a hood? If so, do you have any more problems than others that run a tank with a hood
?
I have a 12 gallon aquapod with the hood and that 5.5 doesn't had any hood. Only difference is i have to add topoff water to the hoodless tank more often then the tank with a hood.