Inimicus didactylus - Bearded ghoul in a 14g biocube

canareef

Any suggestions about a Bearded ghoul in a 14g biocube. There is not alot of information that I can find. Would it be a good fit?

nissan577

as i did some reading this is what i found:
Bearded ghoul - Inimicus didactylus
FAMILY
Synanceiidae
TAXONOMY
Inimicus didactylus Pallas, 1769, Indian Ocean.
OTHER COMMON NAMES
English: Demon stinger, popeyed sea goblin, spiny devilfish; Japanese: Hime-oniokoze.
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Grows to 7.9 in (20 cm) maximum length. The bearded ghoul is best recognized by the shape of its head and its elongate pectoral fins, which it uses for crawling along the bottom. This species can be distinguished by the pattern on the medial surface of its pectoral fin, which has a broad, dark, transverse bar that may be streaked.
DISTRIBUTION
Distributed from southern Japan and Indonesia to Australia, the Solomon Islands, and New Caledonia.
HABITAT
A benthic species found on open sandy or silty bottoms, particularly in estuaries, lagoons, and seaward reefs.
BEHAVIOR
A particularly venomous species that is capable of killing a human. Like most stonefishes, this species is a lie-and-wait predator that relies on its cryptic coloration and body form to surprise prey.
FEEDING ECOLOGY AND DIET
Feeds primarily on crustaceans, but small fishes also are preyed upon.
REPRODUCTIVE BIOLOGY
Little is known about the reproductive biology of this species.
CONSERVATION STATUS
Not listed by the IUCN.
SIGNIFICANCE TO HUMANS
Because of its small size, this species is not fished commercially; however, despite the fact that these fishes are highly venomous, they are collected occasionally for the aquarium trade, where they are sold as "popeyed sea goblins."

[hr]
also the owner of this fish kept it with an angler but the goblin ate it. i wouldnt recommend it because no one has kept one and if they had little research has been done with them with a home aquarium. HTH

small triggers

and i think cranberry has one????
they get rather large when full grown, so i wouldnt attempt it in a 14g,,
you may be better off with some type of scorp or maybe a leaf fish

btldreef

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3226270
and i think cranberry has one????
they get rather large when full grown, so i wouldnt attempt it in a 14g,,
you may be better off with some type of scorp or maybe a leaf fish
Yes, Cranberry does have one.
It's a really neat looking fish but there's just no way I would put something like that in a 14G tank. Even when they're young, stingfish, frogfish, lionsfish, etc are pretty messy eaters from what I've read and seen and can cause major problems with water parameters in such a small tank.
Keep in mind that a 14G is not 14 gallons of water once you add rock and substrate, it's usually a 10G by the time that's done. Tank is just too small.

cranberry

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3225970
i wouldnt recommend it because no one has kept one and if they had little research has been done with them with a home aquarium. HTH
I have to disagree with ya there. There is no mystery to these guys. They are hardy and easy to care for as far as scorps/stingfish/wasps go.
His adult size is way too big for a 14g.
These guys pack a mean punch in the venom department, BTW. They are a meer step down from the stonefish.

nissan577

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3226318
I have to disagree with ya there. There is no mystery to these guys. They are hardy and easy to care for as far as scorps/stingfish/wasps go.
His adult size is way too big for a 14g.
These guys pack a mean punch in the venom department, BTW. They are a meer step down from the stonefish.
i really never knew you had one there. i know you have some amazing fish but not this one. my mistake Cran