initial setup Q's

veronicad

Ok, so if you've got a new tank and it's cycled and it's got pods and a snail or 2, do you still QT your first ponies? Does it make a diff if they're CB? How long in the QT? Or would you just do a freshwater dip?
Also, does a pile of marbles (washed first, of course) make a decent pod refuge? I mean, they're small enough to get into those crevices, right? Or do you HAVE to have porous rock?

I am a bit zombie-ish but I will jump in!! I have to say I would absolutely rethink the marbles. I have a black substrate at the bottom of my pony tank. I would only use something made for a saltwater tank.
I usually do not QT or dip my ponies or horses on arrival (go ahead and yell at me for it) I find it is much less stressful on them. Now this is just what has seemed to work for me not that all would agree with it. I hope that helps!!!

veronicad

K.
Curious, though... About the marbles, why not? They're glass and nonporous. I can't see why the salt would make any difference? I'm not arguing, just please clarify.
Thx!!

I wouldnt risk it if it were my tank. I am just stating my opinion on that......I would worry what affect the salt would have on them......I dunno

maybe my brain stopped working a few hours ago!

I "think" I read a post about those rocks in another post and people were against the idea but I dont remember where on here I saw it. Please get more opinions on that one
and I think u r looking to start something huh??? wanna fight!?!?!?!
jk
Im turning in so I will catch ya later

veronicad

Funny, NY!!! You really are sounding a little sleep deprived!!
JK!!

I'll keep checking on 'marble safety'

I guess I've got a few more weeks until i set up, eh?
Well, I'm hoping to get more input so I can kinda take a survey of opinions and weigh things.....
I'll catch ya'll tomorrow!!

LOL

Well rested today thank goodness!!!! And someone is acting much more like himself!!!

I will browse the posts and see if I can find that one for ya
Well Im off to get ready for work so I will catch ya later!!! Have a good day!!!

suzy

Originally Posted by veronicad
http:///forum/post/2565658
K.
Curious, though... About the marbles, why not? They're glass and nonporous. I can't see why the salt would make any difference? I'm not arguing, just please clarify.
Thx!!

Exactly! Because they are not porous, they do not allow bacteria to grow in and on, which is what our tanks need for filtration. Plus, they is no place for the tiny larvae to grow. I think the best substrate for growing microfauna is large grain aragonite and live rock rubble. Lots of places for detritus to settle which is food for the pods.
I would place the new arrivals in the healthiest place you have. If you have a well cycled quarantine tank that's large enough and with great refuge areas, use it. But, since most of us don't, I would use the next best thing: your main display!