Initial Supplies for 120g Tank?

phxjosh

We are in the process of buying a condo, and one of the first things we plan to buy is a SW tank. We are looking to do a 100+ gallon setup, we will have more exact measurements once we move in and decide where it's going.
We are looking for a list of supplies so we can start buying everything now, I have a general idea of what I need but I am not sure what specific items to get.
So far I know I need:
Water (Where do I get 100 gallons of water from? Can I use tap?)
1lb of Live Rock per Gallon
Sand (do I buy live sand?, and how much?)
Lighting (I want to keep some corals, what lighting is needed? T5?)
Power Jets
Testing Supplies
We are trying to keep the costs down, I know it's an expensive hobby but obvioulsy we would like to save money wherever we can.
Any advice would be great, thanks!

jaodissa

So If I were setting up 120g I would have
120 gallons of water of course (I would buy mine only because Im lazy but its gonna cost you 120 dollars just for water if you don't make it yourself)
120-140lbs LR
50/50 sand mixture (half Live have not to help reduce cost) You want 2-3 inches of sand I believe (I have 4-5)
For a tank this large Id go with MH. I think T5 wont do as nice of a job and it's gonna be so close in cost anyways.
Your gonna need quiet a few power heads.
2-3 heaters
Testing Supplies
Your also going to need some sort of filtration. Be that sump, canister, skimmers, or combination there of. If I had that large of a tank I would be doing a sump.
Theres a few things you would need for that but I don't have a sump no idea how they work so someone else can fill you in their.

phxjosh

We might go a little smaller, would a 55g need a sump? I am trying to avoid using a sump at all, I would like to use a protin skimmer if possible?
So if I buy water where do I get 120 gallons? I have no idea how to get that much besides buying 120 individual gallons or something, or a few 5 gallon ones and just making trips.

scsinet

Originally Posted by PhxJosh
http:///forum/post/3153270
We might go a little smaller, would a 55g need a sump? I am trying to avoid using a sump at all, I would like to use a protin skimmer if possible?
So if I buy water where do I get 120 gallons? I have no idea how to get that much besides buying 120 individual gallons or something, or a few 5 gallon ones and just making trips.
With a 120 gallon tank, you need to seriously think about setting up an RO/DI unit to make your water onsite.
I had one even with a 55, after I got it I decided I could not live without it.
You'll go through so much water dealing with evaporation and water changes... making trips to the LFS to buy water gets to be a huge pain after a short while.

scsinet

RODI is one of those few things where generic is usually okay to use.
I paid 150 bucks for mine.
When you compare it to the price of the water,it sounds like a lot, but when you factor in your time and aggravation of hauling water back and forth, it starts to make lots of sense very quickly. The other nice thing about them is that since you maintain them, you know exactly what you are getting in your water, as opposed to an LFS that changed their filters who knows when.

V

vinnyraptor

http:///forum/post/3153800
How much is a setup for that?
i would check CL and see if anyone in your area is selling a used tank and equipment. you can save tons of money by buying a used tank.
no matter the tank size a skimmer is required IMO. bigger is better for salt tanks and sumps are the best filtration for any reef tank.
you can also save alot of cash by buying base rock or dry rock and seeding it with a few choice pieces of live rock.
i use tap water becuase i dont have an ro/di unit. tap can be ok but it depends on the area your in. you can call your local water dept. and get a print out of whats actually in your water. or you can use some water conditioning products that work ok. ro/di is the best but it's not 100% needed IMO.
where you really need to concentrate your cash is on your skimmer, your lighting system, and water flow. i highly encourage you to buy the biggest used tank you can find and build your own sump/fuge out of a smaller used tank underneath your main tank. you can put the skimmer in there and your heaters. this will give you great flitration and will hide everything neatly underneath your display tank.
take your time and do your research. good luck and keep us updated!

phxjosh

Originally Posted by VinnyRaptor
http:///forum/post/3153819
i would check CL and see if anyone in your area is selling a used tank and equipment. you can save tons of money by buying a used tank.
no matter the tank size a skimmer is required IMO. bigger is better for salt tanks and sumps are the best filtration for any reef tank.
you can also save alot of cash by buying base rock or dry rock and seeding it with a few choice pieces of live rock.
i use tap water becuase i dont have an ro/di unit. tap can be ok but it depends on the area your in. you can call your local water dept. and get a print out of whats actually in your water. or you can use some water conditioning products that work ok. ro/di is the best but it's not 100% needed IMO.
where you really need to concentrate your cash is on your skimmer, your lighting system, and water flow. i highly encourage you to buy the biggest used tank you can find and build your own sump/fuge out of a smaller used tank underneath your main tank. you can put the skimmer in there and your heaters. this will give you great flitration and will hide everything neatly underneath your display tank.
take your time and do your research. good luck and keep us updated!
Everything I read online said I could use LR and a skimmer for my filtration, do I absolutely need a sump?
I might look for a full aquarium with stand and everything so I can hide a sump, but it seems like a lot more work.
$150 for a RODI is not bad, since I would be spending about the same filling it up. Can I just condition tap water though?
Say I run my tank for 2 months before adding fish, can I use tap water?

scsinet

http:///forum/post/3153820
Everything I read online said I could use LR and a skimmer for my filtration, do I absolutely need a sump?
I might look for a full aquarium with stand and everything so I can hide a sump, but it seems like a lot more work.
$150 for a RODI is not bad, since I would be spending about the same filling it up. Can I just condition tap water though?
As vinny said, it does depend on what is in your tap water to begin with. You can neutralize chlorine with water conditioner, but you can't get rid of solid matter, heavy metals, phosphates, etc. Most people IMO do not have good enough tap water to use without filtration. The lack of fish doesn't really mean you can use unfiltered water (if your water requires filtration). The problem with tapwater most encountered is phosphates, which lead to uncontrollable algae growth, and that'll happen whether there are fish in there or not

A sump really isn't any more work, other than to set up. Once it's running, it actually makes the system easier to manage. Lots of people run very successful tanks without them, so it's your choice. Personally, I do not have any tanks without them.

zsqure

Buy your tank off of CL or someplace like that, local reef club, don't rush into things. 6ft lg tanks are great. Research. Everything can be had online rather than LFS. Salt is way cheaper online, Live sand, live rock. Go with RO/DI unit as mentioned earlier. Brut 44gal grey garbage can from home dumpster works well for mixing, usually 3 cups salt per 5 gallons. Refractometer is a must don't waste your money on anything else. Good reading worth having "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner.

V

vinnyraptor

http:///forum/post/3153820
it kinda depends on what you wanna keep when considering a sump/fuge. the things that concerns me is when you said "it seems like more work". this hobby does require a certain amount of time and devotion. healthy fuge's really dont require much maintenance because basically they are biological filters. canister filters and HOB filters which i have have to be cleaned routinely.
if i were you i'd look for a 125 gal long. thats a 6ft tank. IMO its the best bang for your buck especially a used one. you can either run a big canister filter and a good HOB skimmer or make a fuge out of a 55 gallon. doing it yourself it wont cost anymore than any other type of filtration and will give you pristine water conditions. it will also give you 180 total gallons.
tap water will give you algae blooms especially at first, if you practice good husbandry you can overcome it pretty easily but it will take alot of work. i did it so i know, lol. it wont effect the amount of time before you can add fish. once your cycle is done its done regardless if your water was tap, RO, or bottled. if you dont want the hassle get the ro unit especially if you can save money on a used tank.
t-5 or power compacts are fine if you only want soft corals and certain anemones. but to be able to keep all types of corals, clams, and nems you'll need metal halide. this and a good skimmer is where you need to not be cheap.
one thing i can tell you for sure, if you buy a smaller tank like a 55 or 75 a year down the road you'll REALLY REGRET IT. there are so many animals you can house in a 125 or 6 ft tank that you simply cant in smaller tanks.

phxjosh

We would like a 6ft long if we can fit it, but we might need a 4ft, maybe go a little taller so I can keep the gallons up.
I have a old 20g, can I use it for the sump? Any tutorials how to build a sump?

xcali1985

http:///forum/post/3156003
We would like a 6ft long if we can fit it, but we might need a 4ft, maybe go a little taller so I can keep the gallons up.
I have a old 20g, can I use it for the sump? Any tutorials how to build a sump?
If you go 4ft a 90 will be ok? Really once you fill up your tank you will want to go bigger, everybody does. Its guaranteed. That is another reason why everyone is telling you to get the biggest possible tank and not skimp on the equipment.
I started with a 55 and 3 months later went to a 80. Happened that fast for me once I realized that the amount of fish and the type i wanted required more room.
IMHO start big as possible but a 55 is an excellent starter tank and youll be able to house most fish just not a lot.

johnr2604

I'll chime in because I have a 120.
I like the 120 because of the shape. Its only 4 ft and the 2ft front to back increases your aquascaping options. Its also the perfect demensions to use 2x 250w halides to the most efficiency. Here is what I would recommend
  • sump
  • appropriate sized skimmer
  • 700- 900gph pump
  • 2x250 halides or 6-8 bulb 54w T5HO
    2x 250-300watt heaters
    powerheads to create more than 3000 gph flow
    refugium
    shop light with daylight PC bulb