Innovative Coraline Removal

bojik

If that kind of plastic measuring spoon works, find yourself another flat bottom type spoon/small cup made of a similar plastic and saw the rounded end off and wet stone and sand the edge smooth. Thus getting the desired flat edge.
EDIT: might also want to make two. One with a slight curvature that fits your bowfronts shape too ;)

maxsmart

Originally Posted by Bojik
If that kind of plastic measuring spoon works, find yourself another flat bottom type spoon/small cup made of a similar plastic and saw the rounded end off and wet stone and sand the edge smooth. Thus getting the desired flat edge.
EDIT: might also want to make two. One with a slight curvature that fits your bowfronts shape too ;)
I might just try that; I'll fill everyone in if I find an existing product that works. I'd just hate to ruin the clarity of my glass with microscopic scratches - I get the same "I use a blade, and my tanks are fine" from all the pet stores... but I'd hate to tell them, their glass is pasty-looking... the scratching takes its toll.

maxsmart

I found a plastic tool that removes coraline! I got a $1.50 2" plastic paint scraper from a hardware store. It's all plastic, doesn't scratch the glass, and does a pretty good job removing coraline!

reefkprz

I use an old credit card, or a razor, (the credit card was free they send the preapproved ones all the time)

ratrod

I need some cheese to go with my wine.
Trying to keep the acrylic clean is my least favorite thing to do, and it is so easy to scratch even being careful

salt_water

Kent ProScraper Long, get the 35-inch version and stay dry. Comes in either glass or acrylic version. Glass = metal blade, Acrylic = plastic blade. Neither will scratch glass. I have the metal version, because I have a glass tank, and it works very well to remove the thickest coraline algae. Good luck.

maxsmart

I've actually found credit cards to be frustrating - maybe my coraline is just harder than average? When our financial situation improves, I might go looking for one of those plastic kent scrapers, but meanwhile, I'm VERY happy with the $1.50 paint scraper. I can actually do large sections of 100% coraline coverage in a single session!

wilsonreef

Originally Posted by salt_water
Kent ProScraper Long, get the 35-inch version and stay dry. Comes in either glass or acrylic version. Glass = metal blade, Acrylic = plastic blade. Neither will scratch glass. I have the metal version, because I have a glass tank, and it works very well to remove the thickest coraline algae. Good luck.
I have the Kent scrapers also..The Pro series, and the short one. I use the Stainless steel ones because they are not really stiff, true stainless steel is stronger but these are flimsy but work better than anything else I've tried. Easy on the glass too.