input from nanos...Please...

xlr8

I posted a thread in the new hobbyist section about nanos and the challenge a newbie might have with one, and some discouragement and encouragement I have recieved. I'm in the planning and research stage of saltwater. I really want to start with a nano (20 or 30 gal.).I really love the look of the nano. I would like to hear from all the Keepers of the Nanos. Especially anyone who may have started out with a nano. Please, tell me about your experiances with nano keeping, good,bad and everything in between. Thanks.
I would like to add....this board rules
. I have learned much here..Thanks for your time and effort in helping the noobs!

worrballer

Well, for your first salt tank a nano usually isn't a good idea.
There is a lot of maintenance and upkeep with a nano that most new people find tedious or just don't do it.
If you really want to start small, then a 29 would be fine. If you can set it up for a sump to add water volume which will help you in the long run.
My favorite advice I give people when starting new tanks is to think of the one (or two) fish you absolutely must have. and build around it (them).

xlr8

Well, I do just want to start out with FOWLR. I must have the cliche clown due to the fact my children MUST have
. But for me I'm thinking a firefish. And if/when I fell confident enough, get into some entry level corals. I'm a very patient person who is a little OCD on details, a minimalist and slightly OCD on neatness
. Just ask the wife.

worrballer

Sounds like a reefer in the making! OCD is a plus in this hobby. Your plan sounds good. If you can afford it go with a 24-29 AIO (all in one).
Those will grow with your needs as you gain more experience.

hondo

Best advice ever given to me is in this hobby smaller is not easier larger is easier so go with the largest tank you can afford. Larger tanks are more forgiving of your learning curve mistakes and no matter how much prep or research you do first you will make mistakes.
good luck and be forewarned this hobby is more addictive than crack. I kept reef tanks for 10 years and then a cross country move forced me to give it up but now I am back cycling my 28gal nano cube and driving my wife nuts with all the time and money I'm spending on the tank. she's just not buying into the argument that I'm doing this because the kids love it:)

dankbardy31

I recently added a 24g JBJ nano cube to my tank collection. They are awesome for a few reasons:
Very clean look with all components built in
small enough to go about anywhere
capability of doing corals
etc.
If you think that this is the route that you want to go, just like everyone else said there is definitely a lot of work that will have to go into it, a lot of patience while you wait for it to fully cycle, and a lot more money invested than just your up front costs. But if you do enough research and can commit to the fiscal and time responsibility then do it. I love mine and working on it and monitoring its progress is very rewarding. Good thing too is that there are tons of pros to consult with your every question on this forum.
Good luck and have fun!

fishmamma

Hello and welcome! I started out with a 16 gallon, then did a 29 tall, etc...the 29 has been my biggest tank.
My biggest challenge has been keeping up with the fresh water top-offs. There have been a number of times things got in the danger zone very quickly over the years. I recently just switched the 16 gallon critters over to a 14 g. bio-cube, MUCH easier to maintain so far. I do run a skimmer in it.
I am a huge fan of protein skimming, especially in nano's. The little contraption in the cube barely works but it is better than nothing. Good skimming, lots of live rock and the correct # of fish can make you or break you.
The other tough bit about nanos is the number of fish you can keep. If you are ok with 3 small fish then go for it. The upside is everyone is easy to view and I really love that since I am very into the inverts!

To sum it up I would suggest taking a serious look at the "cubes" and go for the biggest one you can fit and/or afford. (And my kids love the clownfish too
)