Input on filter?

inawe

I want to change out my filter system...presently have an Eclipse biowheel. I have a Prizm skimmer which, without mods, will not fit with this hood. I would like to change out my lights (PC's for now) and cover, put in the skimmer, and get another type of filter system. Of the various types of filters, what would be the best type for a 37g? I have LR and sand. This will basicly be FOWLR for now, but I'd like to upgrade to reef eventually.

you could buy a single 250w HQI MH fixture for the lighting, and set up a 10g sump/ refugium if you want a reef tank. and with a sump you dont have to clutter the display tank with the skimmer

inawe

For now MH lights are not in the budget. I like the sump/refugium idea, but my tank is not drilled, and my biggest fear is a flood because something fails (any design ideas to keep this from happening?)! So for now, until I can afford big upgrades (until my DH says "wow! Let's get more...bigger...better!), I have to go as easy on the $$$. When I do go reef, I'll probably go with things like leathers, until I can go up to the top lighting for the really pretty things. so what suggestions do ya'll have? My DH has some understands of sumps, and says he'd really like to go this route if someone can tell me where to go for the simplest sump to set up
! EVERYTHING I see on the sump subject is way complicated (DIY), or would cost a mini fortune (to buy). I've already spent my mini-fortune to get this far. I need something I can do now to support my tank as it is now...only has a few cleanups...will wait to add my clown (in a separate tank right now) until I'm sure it's ready to support it without complications.
would more LR be an option with the bio-wheel, instead of putting in the protein skimmer? I have about 12 lbs base rock, 20-25lbs LR, and 30-40lbs sand. If so, how much? Or is the protein skimmer an essential part of the tank? Is their a protein skimmer I can use INSTEAD of another filter system?

inawe

Or a wet/dry filter? They look to be similar to a sump? At any rate, water goes thru filters, then a sump, according to description. Tidepool or SFW has a ProClear? Any thoughts?