Inspired for a mini reef!!

thedocta

Ok I was thinking and suddenly I got inspired for a nano tank using an old 5 gallon laying around the house. I've got 53 pounds LR in my 38 gallon so I'm planning on taking like 10 pounds LR outta there and 10 pounds LS outta there. The equiptment I have is pretty simple. 5 1/2 gallon tank, glass top, 50 watt heater, aquaclear mini powerfilter, and an 18 watt 50/50 coralife mini aqualight. I've had a mini reef before but it didn't do so well. This time I'm doin it right tho! R/O water, packed with LR and LS for natural filtration, and a REEF SAFE cleanup crew this time. My overall palnn is llisted below. Tell me if you've got any suggestions at all! Thanks-Greg
Equiptment:
Tank
18 Watt 50/50 light
Glass top
Small magfloat
Small filter
Heater
Thermometer
LR & LS:
Around 10 pounds LR
5-10 pound LS
Inhabitants:
Mushrooms
Zoas
Yellow polyps
Small blasto
Small frogspawn
Feather dusters on the rocks
10-15 small snails
Either firefish, perc, or jawfish (Which one?)
Emrald crab
Maybe small starfish (What kind?)
Maybe a leather
Maybe a shrimp (What kind?)

thedocta

BTW here's my plan timewise for setting the tank up. Tell me if I'm rushing things or goin to slow. Thanks-Greg
Tommorow: Cleanup tank and eauiptment. Put LS in, fill with newly mixed R/O salt water, add LR and arrange nicely, add about 10 snails.
Saturday: Let things settle maybe add rock with feathjer dusters.
Sunday: Test levels, If they're good I'll add the perc and maybe a couple small schrooms.
Next weekend: Add a couple more corals either temporarily while I add LR to my big tank or for good.
Weekend after: Finish adding the few corals I'm gonna switch from my big tank. And enjoy!

thederek

my only reccomendation would be more lighting, but having had a 5 gallon before myself, i know its hard to fit more in there....however the corals you have listed should do fine with just 18watts...just be careful.

thedocta

Alright I think I'm gonna get the new 12 inch aqualight model for christmas. That's 7.2 watts per gallon...Is that good? -Greg

clarkiiclo

Much better than 3.6
You might be able to keep a clam.
:)
I plan to set up a nano this coming year. I want a 12gal.

thedocta

I considered downsizing to a 2.5 gallon but decided against it...Can I keep mushrooms, polpys, zoas, and maybe a leather under 18 watts in a 5.5. gallon? If so I won't need to upgrade lighting because that's all I'll be keeping in this tank I'm pretty sure. Thanks-Greg

lefty

Those corals should be okay under 18 watts. But, since every tank is different, I would keep a close eye on them to make sure they're doing alright. If the corals are thriving, then great. If not, then I would immediately invest in some stronger lighting. Good luck! :)
-lefty

thedocta

Alright thanks...The light looks really dim but thats probably cuz I'm still using the original bulbs and haven't got new ones yet. I'll try a couple corals first to see if they're doing alright then If they're all ok I'll slowly add the rest. Thanks-Greg