Installing a Reef Tank into a Divider Wall

j b stern

I have had a reef tank for over twelve (12) years. It was a free standing glass 225 gal. We moved and I had to give it up. Now I want to build a reef tank into a divider wall. It will be seen on both sides. I need any info on where and how do I put the overflow and height for the lighting. Any construction helps would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jb rekit

If you have your tank drilled, just do it close to on one of the sides and have cabinet doors on top to access lighting and to feed and doors on the bottom to access the sump.
By having the overflow on the side, you can have the plumbing in the wall instead of the back of the tank.
I'll see if I can find a pic of my parents African Ciclid tank in Houston. I think it is similar to what you are talking about doing. It is in the family room and you can see through it into the wine closet and vise versa.

jb rekit

Well, I found a pic but it said it was too large.
I copied it into paintbrush and shrunk it but it still said the same thing. I you are interested, I could e-mail it you if you want.

leboeuf

why not have the over flows built in the middle of the tank on both sides? makes more sense. the plumbing will drain below to the sump and back up. no need to tap into side walls. figure out ventilation first, problem I am still battling.

spinner

It's quite doable and with enough space, you can have a pretty elaborate system.
Since the overflow and return will be on the one end "behind the wall" ample circulation is a must.
Spinner