Instant Ocean and cloudy water change

aelene

Ok, I'm a little scared atm. I did a water change and it is very cloudy... and I added it to my tank already so it's a done deal. I let it sit for over 24 hours originally then added some more salt today to get the level to 1.025 because it was only reading 1.010 at first (cloudy then as well)
I'm worried I may have done something bad. I've read some previous posts and sounds like it's a precipitation event? There is a cloudy film on the powerhead and heater that was in the bucket. I looked at this thread:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/193581/instant-ocean
Instant Ocean is what I'm using... my question is what happens if I have added it already? Nobody has freaked out and died yet but I'm really worried of what I might find in the morning.... I'd venture to bet Oscar and the kids are not happy with me right now

unleashed

to make it bit easier next time let the sw sit overnite it will desolve completly .if im understand this you let the water sit 24 hrs then added salt ? are you running carbon on your filter.if so it will clear up it sounds lik e your salt didnt desolve althe way b4 you added it.

aelene

I added the salt to the water. Set up the bucket... added the heater and powerhead then added the salt.
Unleashed - I don't think it's a matter of the salt not being dissolved completey. I added salt originally the night before last then let it sit 24 hours and it was just as a cloudy as it was after I added more salt.
I woke up early to check out the tank and luckily everyone looks ok, plus the water has cleared up (not running carbon atm) but the process still freaked me out. Someone said in that other post to make sure you add the salt little at a time.. guess that's what I'll do next time around?

azocean709

ok....you added salt to your water bucket...but you did not keep testing it untill it reached your desired SG? just putting some salt in your bucket and not knowing the level is a no no...ill tell ya how i do it. i narrowed it down to .....5 gallons of water i need 3 cups of salt....that puts me at about 1.025.SG....i let that swirl around for about 4 hours and test the water. i add a lill more salt...let it sit an hour.....test it....then usually i add a touch more to bring it up to 1.027. I let that sit for a couple hours and do my water change.
Unless you have some delicate corals , everything should be fine. I use IO also. I like to do some tests my new water too to see what exactly is goin in my tank...<calcium, > and all that.

ctgretzky9

Follow these water change instructions and never have another problem:
Easiest way to get your alk steady is by also doing proper water changes....You will need:
-1 cheap powerhead...like a rio 800 or a smaller maxi jet
-1 cheap heater around 100-150 watt
-1 cheap air pump and stone (somewhat optional)
-1 refractometer if you can...(hydrometers should be outlawed)
-5 gal or more bucket for the mixing), another bucket at 5 gal to make it easier to dump in the tank or you can use powerhead.
-salt mix
-good source water-no tap water unless its been tested
-a notepad to track all of your tests
1. fill bucket of any size about half with the water, then add appropriate salt for that amount ( i fill my 5 gal about 3gal worth, then with the instant ocean, I add 1.5 cups of salt) while stirring very well. (Salinity at the rate IO gives you will be around 1.022, thats too low, but more later about that)
Only add the salt to the water, never add water to the salt.
2. Finish adding your water to the bucket, then add appropriate salt again while mixing. At the rate IO gives you (1/2 cup per gallon) your salinity wil be around 1.022. This is when I add about 1/2 cup more to the water in addition to what I've added, and in a 5 gal scenario, it comes out to 1.025, which is about where you want to be.
3. Add powerhead to circulate and airstone to oxygenate (airstone is optional, i like it though)
4. cover and let circulate for around 24 hrs. A couple hours before you will use the replacement water, add the heater. Test salinity after water gets to targeted temperature, which for most is around 80. But acceptable range is around 77-82 give or take, varying opinions from many people.
5. Test salinity. If this is good, I suggest testing this water for ph and alkalinity and calcium and magnesium. This way you know the shortcomings of the mix. DO NOT ADD ANYHING TO THE REPLACEMENT WATER TO ADJUST except salt. It may cause a preciptaion event, which i learned the hard way one day If salinity is too high or too low, either add a little more salt or just unsalted water to adjust. If you must do this, let sit for a little while longer and circulate. Test salinity again.
6. Ready for the change? What I do, is I dump half of the 5gal into another 5 gal bucket, just to make it easier to handle the weight while pouring in. So that's why I have 2. And if you ave purchased a 10 gal mixing bucket or bigger, you could siphon out the water into the 5 gal bucket. You could also use the powerhead (thanks knowse) to pump the water into your tank instead of dumping it in.
7. Drain appropriate amount of water from your tank. Replace with new water.
8. Wait a few hours or so, then test your tank water. Given what you may know is lacking in your replacement water, plus the test on your tank water after replacement, this will give you a good idea what is needed.
Now you can add your b-ionic alk and calcium if needed and any other additives to the tank. Best to wait though to add anythig about 24 hrs and test then. But always test tank water before you add anything, and anything you add, do it slowly. Better to adjust over time than to try and quick fix things.

bostonpro

It must be an Instant Ocean thing. My mom uses Instant Ocean and it's always cloudy when she does a water change. I always thought that it was the way she mixes it. She pours the salt into water jugs with lids and just shakes them up (doesn't use a powerhead). Anyway, the tank gets cloudy for a few hours then clears up. Been doing that for about two years now and havn't had any problems with the fish.
I use Oceanic salt, about the same price as IO in my part of the country. I havn't had any cloudy issues with it.

ophiura

Keep in mind there are just some bad batched of salt mixes out there and even using proper stirring, etc, things can still go very wrong just because of the messed up mix. It seems like things may be OK in this case, but some people have destroyed their tanks. If something looks suspicious with the mix, just don't use it.

unleashed

IO isnt one of the most stable brands from what i have experienced if you run carbons on your tank the cloudiness goes away faster.I use it also but I cant say im always pleased with it.but at times you can test the new water and find ammonia readings in it.and I use RO water

aelene

Well, first of all... I promise I did test the water lol. I'm not so bad that I just threw it in, but after my first mix and 24 hours it was only testing at 1.010 so I added more salt then tested again later. I also tested the water before adding it (the basics, ph.. nitrites, ammonica, nitrates, etc). I do test with a refractometer... swore off the hydrometer my first month or so of the hobby.
My major concern is that it was cloudy from the minute I started making it, then stayed that way. I kept telling myself it was b/c the powerhead was too strong so maybe it was oxygen bubbles.... but by the time I added the water I realized that wasn't it... was freaked out at that point because I had already emptied and gotten rid of the old water so I didn't have much of a choice left. It was after that, that I started looking things up on this site and hearing of how some people crashed their tank by doing that because levels were off.
Everyone is ok so far and the water cleared up overnight - it just really freaked me out and on top of everything - it's my own fault because I hadn't done a water change in way too long and I was rushing to try to make up for that. I'll try another batch this weekend and add the salt as I go to see how that batch works out. Thanks guys

ophiura

IMO, if you mix up saltwater and it remains cloudy for several hours - beyond the norm - or if there is a precipitate on the sides of the container, I would be real wary of using it. Instant ocean, and probably others, have crashed more than a few tanks and there are some bona fide so far off the chart reading on some that its something to always keep in mind. No amount of stirring or prep can change it. :scared:
Alkalinity appears to be one of the major way off parameters...definitely check alkalinity...IMO more important than nitrates and perhaps even ammonia (assuming that you are using a reliable water source).

ctgretzky9

This is why it is important to test your mix every time. Note the last few lines of my water mix instructions...know what you are putting in your tank at all times and you'll nevewr have a problem. I know it is a pain in the butt, but I have found low levels of calcium sometimes, or magnesium, or even high levels of either from time to time.